The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife bought me a pizza oven for fathers day and I am finally going to try it out this weekend. This thread is great! Going to try to no knead recipe.

Last night pizza night.

2016-07-07 18.19.36.jpg

2016-07-07 18.57.28.jpg

2016-07-07 18.58.52.jpg

2016-07-07 19.04.11.jpg

It's a product I'm working on. It's basically a steel pan/skillet with a steel lid. You heat it on your stove, throw in the pie and cover it for 3 minutes or so.

I really hate waiting for my oven to heat up, especially now in the summer, so I had to do something. This thing heats up in less than 10 minutes, while im making the pizza and the final product is decent enough, I think :)

Wouldn't a big old cast iron pan with lid do that?

A friend of mine got a pile of these 12X12 pans at an auction and gave me two. They're old Little Caesar's pans. I cleaned them up, re-seasoned and made a couple sicilian pies last night. Plain cheese and pepperoni.

Cheese pizza? Honestly, what's the point? Discuss.

Wouldn't a big old cast iron pan with lid do that?

You can't cook the top side with a cast iron pan. You could cook the crust on one side first, flip it and then fill it, but it's not really practical and the results are not always great.

You have to have a very hot lid that radiates a lot of energy from as close as possible.

You can't cook the top side with a cast iron pan. You could cook the crust on one side first, flip it and then fill it, but it's not really practical and the results are not always great.

You have to have a very hot lid that radiates a lot of energy from as close as possible.

I'm betting that a heavy cast iron pan with a heavy cast iron top, preheated in a very hot oven, would cook pizza evenly top and bottom, and better than any stovetop arrangement. But I have not tried it.

I'm betting that a heavy cast iron pan with a heavy cast iron top, preheated in a very hot oven, would cook pizza evenly top and bottom, and better than any stovetop arrangement. But I have not tried it.

I've baked bread that way in a cast iron dutch oven ala "Tartine", but never pizza.

If you have a shallow pan and a lid, or use two of the 3/4" deep lids, I think it would work great. I just might have to try it. Do you have any pics of what you're developing?

Well, preheating cast iron lid kind of defeats the point of not needing an oven :)

I will post some pics in a week or so. I have to polish it a bit more before showing it in public :)

Going to attempt the no knead recipe tomorrow morning. Bake a pie tomorrow night after work and freeze the rest. The last few posts have made me extremely hungry and I'm sad I didn't get a chance to make anything today. I have some sun dried tomatoes, spinach and mozzarella laying around I'l probably throw together.

Grilled Pizza Pie was on the agenda yesterday until I decided I didn't have time to mix up the dough and let it rise.

We made Stir Fry instead.

Must get the dough prepared for next time!

My buddy used a 5 minute Quick dough said it was okay. Anyone else try it? I will give it a try before too long, because I'm bound to want pizza and not have dough at some point.

A friend of mine got a pile of these 12X12 pans at an auction and gave me two. They're old Little Caesar's pans. I cleaned them up, re-seasoned and made a couple sicilian pies last night. Plain cheese and pepperoni.

Any special tricks for the dough? What about time and temp to cook?

I haven't baked a homemade pizza in a couple of years, cuz Wife is on a strict diet and I don't wanna sabotage her. But I'm enjoying looking at y'all's pics.

My oven has kind of crappy temperature control; it runs *really* hot but not by a consistent amount Terrible for baking cakes, but perfect for pizza. (to bake cakes, I preheat the oven, put the cake in, and turn the temperature down 50 degrees and start checking it 10 minutes before it's supposed to be done. For pizza, I just set it for 450 and let it do it's thing)

My dough is really simple. 2 cups of bread flour, 1 cup of water, 1 tsp salt, pinch of sugar, a tablespoon or so of olive oil or bacon grease, and 1/2 tsp of instant dried yeast. I mix it up and put it in the fridge (covered) to rise slowly for a couple of days; no kneading necessary. The slow rise makes all the difference.

Heinz or Hunt's (can't remember which it is) pizza sauce in #10 cans from Sam's Club for $3 is not as good as what I can make from scratch but it's close. And it's cheaper. And a lot easier. That's usually what I use, and I freeze the extra.

Whole milk mozzarella is a lot better than the part-skim you usually find. It's worth looking for. But use the part-skim cheese if you're using a lot of greasy meat toppings. Definitely use whole milk mozz or provolone if you're making a veggie pizza.

The toppings I usually use are pepperoni (but not a huge amount) and sliced fresh jalapenos. But mushrooms and sausages is a good combo too. Or just salami and fresh tomatoes. I keep the toppings simple; the crust is what really makes it.

In my opinion the only pizza that beats pepperoni and Jalapeno is Canadian Bacon and Jalapeno, and that is only because that is what I used to make a lot to go with a pitcher of beer when I worked at Shakey's when I was a kid!! Lol

Any special tricks for the dough? What about time and temp to cook?

I was afraid someone might ask about the dough, so I must confess I didn't make it. The friend who gave me the pans also gave me two frozen dough balls. I do know the basic formula is 75% bread flour, 25% semolina so
flour 100%
water 75% (it's a really wet dough. you ferment it in the greased pan in the fridge overnight then spread it out and proof before baking.)
Instant yeast .5%
salt 2%
each dough ball for 12x12 pan is 18oz.
Thickness factor of .125
If you plug all that into the Lehman dough calculator on pizzamaking.com it'll tell you how much of everything to use.
I baked for 10-12 minutes @ 475, 180 spin halfway through.

I love pan pizza but your crust in these photos is what ive been searching for, care to share that recipe??

Back