White or Red Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
Brewing a hefe. The AHS site has red and white wheat. The red is German, the white is American. Which do I want for a German hefe? I know that sounds obviuos, but it sounds like the red wheat may be a little darker or different flavor than I have had in the past.

Different brewers (home brewers and commercial brewers) have their reasons for red or white wheat in a brew. My experience is that it does not make a difference. The red wheat will not add significantly to the final color and I can not taste a flavor difference in my beers or commercial beers made with each. I tend to use more white malted wheat due to it's availability, but it your choice.

Dr Malt:mug:

I have used them both in two different batches of the same recipe when I first went to AG I didn't realize there was a difference so I just grabbed a bag that said wheat at the lhbs and when I opened it realized the red wasn't what I used last time and liked. Long story short I agree with Dr Malt it doesn't make much difference if at all.

Back