Great first pour, foamy pours after

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milesvdustin

Reaction score
So my kegerator pours great the first pull, then it's foam city on beers after that. Keg connection lines 5 foot I believe, 36 degree temp inside, 120mm fan in the lid to move air, two epoxy mixers in each dip tube, pressure set to 11-12 psi. Pours a pint in about 9-11 seconds. First beer has a 1/2" head. Any pour after has a half glass of foam it seems. Any suggestions?

Still a kegging newb here, but you can probably rule out any tower cooling issues as subsequent pulls (assuming they are relatively soon after first) will bring cold beer into the serving lines from the keg.

It's not a tower, just a keezer with an insulated collar. The shanks and outside faucet stay cold so it's not the temperature differential.

Your problem is the opposite of what most people experience. Usually a foamy first pull, then fine after that.

I think 11-12 psi is a little high. I'd be around 8-9'ish. I'd also try it without the epoxy mixers in there. I think the combination of higher pressure and the mixers is forcing the CO2 out of solution and causing the foam.

Wouldn't the mixer be knocking the co2 out of solution on every pour then?

I am going to lower the pressure first and see what happens. Thank you for the suggestions!

Back