Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad saw a picture of a stack of cases of Two Brothers on my Facebook profile, and he said something about not drinking girly beers in his day. I asked why he thought they were girly, and basically he was inferring "girly" from "fancy" or just "not working class BMC swill."

As I learned in the conversation "girly" really just meant "not PBR," so I enjoyed telling him that PBR has been taken over by hipsters.

Yeah, that'll motivate him away from the crap.. Haha
In my defense, I explained to him ahead of time that something had gone sideways with the brew, and I was waiting to see if it would age out. I had no intention of drinking the bottle I opened, just wanted to check it. Popped the cap, took a whiff (picked up the same "medicine" type aroma that I've been hoping would go away). When it started foaming up out the top of the neck, I swiped some of the foam with a finger to taste it, and he did the same.

Interestingly enough, I had not told him what style of beer it was, and he picked up the wheat profile right away. Guy has potential.

I'm sure this has already been posted, but since I haven't read through the 489 pages, I'll post it anyway (first post!).

I once gave my girlfriend's dad a Guinness Draught. He made a big deal about it and said that he drank one once and nearly got drunk because those dark beers are so strong. He poured it into a glass to show me how dark it was lol. Little did he know, it has similar ABV to one of the BMCs he's so fond of.

In my defense, I explained to him ahead of time that something had gone sideways with the brew, and I was waiting to see if it would age out. I had no intention of drinking the bottle I opened, just wanted to check it. Popped the cap, took a whiff (picked up the same "medicine" type aroma that I've been hoping would go away). When it started foaming up out the top of the neck, I swiped some of the foam with a finger to taste it, and he did the same.

Interestingly enough, I had not told him what style of beer it was, and he picked up the wheat profile right away. Guy has potential.
They'll surprise you sometimes. I was bottling a batch of Channel66's Shipwrecked Saison (see recipe page) yesterday, and gave a warm and uncarbonated taste of it to a young kid I work with. His idea of spiffy beer is Michelob Ultra-something, but he thought for a minute and said, "kind of reminds me of Shocktop, but it needs some orange flavor in it."

On the plus side, he managed to draw a connection between two Belgian-style ales with wheat in them. On the down side, it'll be a frosty day in my hometown before I start adding orange peel to my beers....:D

They'll surprise you sometimes. I was bottling a batch of Channel66's Shipwrecked Saison (see recipe page) yesterday, and gave a warm and uncarbonated taste of it to a young kid I work with. His idea of spiffy beer is Michelob Ultra-something, but he thought for a minute and said, "kind of reminds me of Shocktop, but it needs some orange flavor in it."

On the plus side, he managed to draw a connection between two Belgian-style ales with wheat in them. On the down side, it'll be a frosty day in my hometown before I start adding orange peel to my beers....:D

I can send you some of that frosty day. The temperature here is -26, wind chill is -60. Do you have the orange peel on hand or will I have to wait to send the frosty while you go out and get some?:)

Well,at least he got the Belgian part right. That's something. It's 18F here with wind chill warnings. The wind's howling around the house & trees like a lost soul atm. So much for geting the car towed to a shop for repairs today.
I'm gettin too old for this shiz...:drunk:

I can send you some of that frosty day. The temperature here is -26, wind chill is -60. Do you have the orange peel on hand or will I have to wait to send the frosty while you go out and get some?:)

You just made me feel like a little girl it's 28 here and I'm freezing

I know it is not funny and off topic, but that's what this thread is right???

Anyway, when I lived in Fairbanks, my favorite time to go cross country skiing was -25F because I wasn't very good and fell down a lot. At -25F, the snow would stay frozen and just brush off so I actually stayed warmer. Good times. I wish SWMBO wasn't such a pansy.

I know it is not funny and off topic, but that's what this thread is right???

Anyway, when I lived in Fairbanks, my favorite time to go cross country skiing was -25F because I wasn't very good and fell down a lot. At -25F, the snow would stay frozen and just brush off so I actually stayed warmer. Good times. I wish SWMBO wasn't such a pansy.

I miss the winters in Wyoming...

Sounds like winters in the 60's when we lived on top of that mountain in PA. Snow a$$ deep till May or June,& so cold you slept with 3-4 layers of clothing & 5-6 quilts.

-2F here, -25 with the wind chill. I practically had to drag the dogs outside kicking and screaming this morning for them to do their business.

That's my uncle. He lives within walking distance of the Sierra Nevada brewery and drinks Budweiser exclusively because beer isn't supposed to be about enjoyment, it's an alcohol delivery method, nothing more or less.

Why Budweiser specifically? Ya gotta buy Amurrican! None of these froofy imports like Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, or New Belgium!

That's a pet peeve of mine. If you just want to get drunk, why not drink whiskey or everclear or something? :drunk:

Yea that makes 2 of us. The coldest weather I have been out in was a couple days snow skiing up in Tahoe at 0F.

All of you back east stay toasty and warm! :mug:

I grew up on a farm down in the river valley. When there was no wind it got cold. One morning the mercury in the thermometer outside the front door was down in the little glass ball at the bottom. The scale on the thermometer went to -50°. By the time I got to the barn with pails of hot water the surface of the pails were ice.

Right now it is -20°F. We are protected from the wind by trees, The sun is out and, sitting on the front porch, my petite saison is not warming up.

-2F here, -25 with the wind chill. I practically had to drag the dogs outside kicking and screaming this morning for them to do their business.

-21f with a windchill of -59f overnight...boiling water vaporized instantly when thrown in the air outside.

My wife on my 9% double IPA: I love it, it's really fizzy

On my 6% porter: Wow, it's really boozy (it's not boozy at all, coffee/chocolate)

Well,actually :D,the coldest weather I've been out in was the late 70's I think,when my '74 pinto super stock wouldn't fire in the plant #1 parking lot,across rt237 that got the back wash from planes taking off at Hopkins. The wind chill made it -88F,& our hands started to frostbite in about 2 minutes...maybe less. My dad & I took turns retuning it while mom sat in the truck,a '78 F-150. Back when their size was more appropriate. I wondered if we'd even survive getting it started & out of the foot of frozen slush & snow it was buried in.

what the flocc is wrong with you? I kinda wanna punch you in the tail bone now.

What's wrong? I have spent all of my life in the NW or Montana/Wyoming, I love it, miss it, and hate the fact that here in Texas 90% of the year it's over 70, which means no snow, and means every day it's over 70 is a day of me stepping outside and sweating. I thrive in the cold, love the cold, miss the cold, and wish to go BACK to it...

Vaporized? I would expect it to instantly freeze into snow. It might have vaporized last August in Death Valley when the new record was set at 134°F!

"When it's cold outside, there's hardly any water vapor present in the air, whereas boiling water emits vapor very readily that's why it's steaming," Seeley says. "When you throw the water up in the air, it breaks into much smaller droplets, so there's even more surface for water vapor to come off of.

"Now, cold air is very dense, and this makes its capacity to hold water vapor molecules very low. There's just fundamentally less space for the vapor molecules," Seeley explains. "So when you throw the boiling water up, suddenly the minus 22 air has more water vapor than it has room for. So the vapor precipitates out by clinging to microscopic particles in the air, such as sodium or calcium, and forming crystals. This is just what goes into the formation of snowflakes."

that was from some science page, but every time i did it in Mn. it just looked like it turned into steam, i assume because the crystals are so small.

What's wrong? I have spent all of my life in the NW or Montana/Wyoming, I love it, miss it, and hate the fact that here in Texas 90% of the year it's over 70, which means no snow, and means every day it's over 70 is a day of me stepping outside and sweating. I thrive in the cold, love the cold, miss the cold, and wish to go BACK to it...

oh!!! you got the brain damage! my bad, yo!

I'm from Texas to and Im the opposite I hate snow and am not built for it

"When it's cold outside, there's hardly any water vapor present in the air, whereas boiling water emits vapor very readily that's why it's steaming," Seeley says. "When you throw the water up in the air, it breaks into much smaller droplets, so there's even more surface for water vapor to come off of.

"Now, cold air is very dense, and this makes its capacity to hold water vapor molecules very low. There's just fundamentally less space for the vapor molecules," Seeley explains. "So when you throw the boiling water up, suddenly the minus 22 air has more water vapor than it has room for. So the vapor precipitates out by clinging to microscopic particles in the air, such as sodium or calcium, and forming crystals. This is just what goes into the formation of snowflakes."

that was from some science page, but every time i did it in Mn. it just looked like it turned into steam, i assume because the crystals are so small.

...so "ice dust", if there was such a thing. I've heard of ice fog; maybe it's like that but it just falls to the ground.

I live in the Sierras at about 3650' elevation. It's been 40 at night and as high as 68 during the day. It snowed once, about 9", but that's long gone. California is in bad shape water-wise right now. The ski areas are starting to close down again because they can't keep the runs covered. Better brew some beer before they start rationing water.

...so "ice dust", if there was such a thing. I've heard of ice fog; maybe it's like that but it just falls to the ground.

I live in the Sierras at about 3650' elevation. It's been 40 at night and as high as 68 during the day. It snowed once, about 9", but that's long gone. California is in bad shape water-wise right now. The ski areas are starting to close down again because they can't keep the runs covered. Better brew some beer before they start rationing water.

lol. definitely stock up on beer, it keeps longer than water anyhow.

i live in the uk right now, where it was sixty all day and 34 at night. it was 76 the other day, and hailed. their weather here is just as confused as the measurement system.

I am convinced north Ttexas may be an even comprimise, wife won't leave Texas and the panhandle at least has heard of snow

Yea but have you been to Lubbock? When it rains, it rains mud because there's so much dust in the air. Fiance went to college there, she loves the place. I've been there 4 times and would never spend more than 3 nights there. Too friggin flat.

Sure ice dust. But it doesn't make it to the ground in the same area it was launched in ND. Too much damn wind.

One time when i was trying to read some funny comments overheard about beer, I read 3 pages of weather reports about how cold it is in a lot of areas around the U.S.

Then i thought to myself, the weather is usually a topic of sober conversation. So warm up guys and RDWHAHB!!!!!

Dude, this one time, like, I drank a beer so cold that it, like, vaporized in my mouth.

Speaking of vaporize, anybody ever watched the movie Envy with Ben Stiller and Jack Black?

/offtopic

dude, this one time, like, i drank a beer so cold that it, like, vaporized in my mouth.

Speaking of vaporize, anybody ever watched the movie envy with ben stiller and jack black?

/offtopic

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389108831.582924.jpg

Back