PID controller build help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinga

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a eHerms system but the boil will still be stove top or propane depending on how big of a batch I'm working on. So eHLT with 1500 watt water heater element and HERMS coil built into the HLT lid that will double as an IC. The pump will be recirculating the mash the entire time and a PID will be controlling the temperature of the water in the eHLT.

I'm now amassing parts for my system but I haven't figured out the wiring for the controller. I want to make something similar to the controller in this build:

http://***********/stories/issue/article/issues/266-november-2009/1987-countertop-brewing-system

so the pid will control power to an outlet that I will plug the water heater element into. but I also want there to be another outlet to plug the pump and stir plate into that I can control on and off with switches.

I want the power in to be a 120v line and the circuit will probably be 20a. I understand how this diagram works.
wiring.jpg

but my system wont have the alarms. So in total: one 120v 20a power line in one switch to control power to the PID that has the outlet with the heating element plugged into it, one switch controlling power to the pump and one switch controlling power to the stir plate. is this feasible and how do I wire the thing?

Back