Hello from the South Georgia backwoods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WARoberson

Reaction score
Hello all. Glad to be here. A little about myself. My name is Archie and I am a veteran and a Paramedic by profession. I got into homebrewing by accident. My wife bought a homesteading magazine and it had an article on homebrewing. After reading it, she tells me, "You could do this." So, the seed had been planted. I began researching homebrewing and have begun purchasing my "stuff". I am but a brew kettle and a recipe from my first batch of beer. The problem I have is location. Being from a VERY rural community, there are no brew clubs or any resources readily available for me, the very new brewer. My wife has an old HS classmate that homebrews and he has gave me any info I have asked for. however, i am the type to get multiple sides to a situation, so I joined HBT. I look forward to any and all advice, tips, suggestions and help I can get from the more experienced brewers on this forum. I plan to brew mainly extracts at first, with maybe an extract with specialty grains thrown in from time to time. After I get my feet wet and get a few batches under my belt (and into my belly), I may upgrade. I look forward to hearing from all of you and picking your brains for help.

Cheers,
Archie

I forgot to add that my wife told me that she might even begin drinking beer again if I can make a beer that tastes good. She had a bad (late night bathroom) experience a few years ago after drinking a 12 pack of store bought by herself. She doesn't like the taste of store bought. So, I am thinking that my first batch might need to be a beer that is less bitter than what most folks brew. I am thinking about recipe kits that list a "hop rating" of 1 or 2. If I can get her to drink what I brew and like it, she will want me to brew more and more. See where I am going with this? :D

Welcome to HBT and home brewing. My first recommendation to you is to read John Palmer's book "How to Brew" - the first edition is available on-line here:
http://www.howtobrew.com/
and the more up to date third edition is available in print.

As for finding beer styles you may like - this site may be useful:
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

Also, you may get some ideas from the recipe data base on this site, and I'm sure others will weigh in with recommendations.

Back