Dry hopping with Galena?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
I have a single hop IPA that has bee in fermenter for 3 weeks today, o.g.1.061 to f.g. 1.012. Was thinking about racking onto some galena pellets

to dry hop. After reading about galena I noticed they are technically for bittering. I used them with this schedule during brew, 1oz 90min 1 oz at 45

min 1oz at 30 min 1 oz at 0 min. So I used them for bittering, flavor, and aroma. Now since Galena is classified as just a bittering hop do you think

I would see a significant increase in the aroma if I dry hopped with them? Has any one dry hopped with them before? What were the results? Also

any suggestion as to how much galena pellets to use if I do dry hop and for how long?

P.s. Tasted beer during f.g. Reading and I was happy it was really good so I know I can enjoy it as is just fine!

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

If you liked the aroma from the sample, I'd dry hop it. In any case, if you want to call it an IPA id dry hop it, cuz as is theres not enough late adds in there. 45 & 30 min adds barely add any flavor and are basically underutilized bittering adds, and 1oz at flameout aint enough.

dcp27 said:
If you liked the aroma from the sample, I'd dry hop it. In any case, if you want to call it an IPA id dry hop it, cuz as is theres not enough late adds in there. 45 & 30 min adds barely add any flavor and are basically underutilized bittering adds, and 1oz at flameout aint enough.

Good advise what have you found to be a good standard for IPA hop schedule? This is only my second batch and didn't find a good resource that identified and explained hop characteristic until after I had picked galena, although I am not disappointed at all sofare!

everyone kinda has their own opinion on the standard IPA, but Id say at least 3oz between late in the boil (<20mins) and dry hop, then a 60 min add or FWH (first wort hop) to account for the remaining bitterness. id just flip thru the recipes in the IPA database to get a better idea: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/

So next time I will defiantly rearrange my hop schedule to having a wort hopping then all late hop addition from 20 min to 0 min! But as fare as dry hopping if I put two oz of pellets in a bag tied to fishing line placed at bottom of carboy with fishing line slipped between stopper and glass to hang outsid the carboy ( to be able to retrieve afterwards) will this be air tight? Also how long should I dry hop I was thinking 10 days is this too short long or what? What are the amount of hops most people dry hop with 1 oz 2 oz 3 oz 4 oz 5 oz 5011oz????

Latest posts

Back