Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the new catalog today and noticed that a lot of the bigger ticket items are cheaper. Their All-Grain Starter kit has reduced in price considerably. Has anyone happened to see how much the new shipping costs are?

I got the new catalog today and noticed that a lot of the bigger ticket items are cheaper. Their All-Grain Starter kit has reduced in price considerably. Has anyone happened to see how much the new shipping costs are?

I live in IA. Ground shipping is basically overnight for me. I'm 3 hours from St. Paul. It is $9.86 for just a packet of dry yeast, and $12 something for two AG kits. :(

I was very disappointed with Brewmaster's warehouse. I never ordered from them online, but going into their store is largely pointless since they keep nothing in stock. I wonder how they can fill online orders quickly if they can't keep simple things like temperature controllers, buckets, and regulators in stock.

I buy almost all of my ingredients from Brewmaster's Warehouse, and I couldn't be happier. Orders have shipped out quick and they've made some last minute changes for me without any trouble.

I can't speak to their equipment, but their ingredients and customer service are top notch.

Just placed an order with NB.... 8 oz Star San, 1 lb PBW, Pumpkin Recipe Kit and a few other misc items that are somewhat bulky... Shipping only came out to $10.61 and it's 4 Day UPS ground. The $7.99 flat rate would take over a week for me usually. So far I'm still pleased with NB. I'll let you know if anything changes.

I just went to both brewmasters warehouse and NB. Added the same ingredients for my session CDA to the carts for a 10gal batch. Brewmasters warehouse was about 6 bucks cheaper. If NB still had its flat rate shipping, the NB price would have been 3 bucks cheaper than BMW. Dangit. I really like NB and have had wonderful experiences with them. But 6 bucks an order adds up over time.

I would check out Midwest. I drive there and they are always cheaper on bulk grain. Now I would assume since they never did the free "shipping" that they are more than likely cheaper.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/

I don't know the online situation for Midwest, but I live just a couple miles away and absolutely love the place. It's the only place I shop for homebrew supplies, so I encourage folks to try them out!

Any ideas on the quality of LME from Brewmaster Warehouse? Does it get good turnover?

I really like NB, but since I saw the price increases I found the Brew Builder at Brewmasters and that is a pretty neat little tool. Buying by the ounce (even the LME?!) is a nice little feature too.

ive been pretty happy with www.ritebrew.com. no flat rate shipping, but they give you a shipping break on $50 and $100 orders. Stuff shows up on my door in just a few days....which is way faster than anybody else....

I just got an email blast with their new flavoring adjunct packs for brewing. The email stated the price of the new "Pedal Pusher" kit is $11.25. Yet when you click the link and go to the website, it's $17.75. Talk about bait and switch!

Clicked unsubscribe

I just got an email blast with their new flavoring adjunct packs for brewing. The email stated the price of the new "Pedal Pusher" kit is $11.25. Yet when you click the link and go to the website, it's $17.75. Talk about bait and switch!

Clicked unsubscribe

It's 11.25 on the web site. The only "kit" matching the price you cite is the "Fuzzy Navel".

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...-outside-the-lines/botl-the-petal-pusher.html

That said, support your local shop if you have one.

I've been a loyal nb buyer since I started brewing and as disappointing as it is, I've got a buddy that will order the same time as me and split shipping costs. It's not much better, but its something. I just placed an order that was $115, and shipping was $13.52. I live in eastern SD and I usually get my order in 2 days or so

Any ideas on the quality of LME from Brewmaster Warehouse? Does it get good turnover?

I do a lot of partial mash beers, and I've always been pleased with the results. Mind you, extract always makes up less than half of my fermentables.

I just priced out my last order, and estimated shipping. I would have saved $3.50 with the new pricing and actual shipping.

The order before that would have cost more by $4.83

Thanks for the feedback, just ordered some.

I will say NB's new Marris Otter LME is quite tempting. I may not be done with NB just yet, but they have caused me to look elsewhere for most orders.

I just placed an order last week with NB. I double checked date prices today, and it would have been more BEFORE shipping. Not sure about any of the equipment or previous non-flat-rate items, but the price on hops has gone up, but the price on grain has gone down. And. It looks like they've stopped charging for the crush. I think I'll be buying local now.

Thanks for the feedback, just ordered some.

I will say NB's new Marris Otter LME is quite tempting. I may not be done with NB just yet, but they have caused me to look elsewhere for most orders.

That's pretty much how I feel. I understand that they have to raise prices to stay in business. But now instead of blindly ordering from NB, I'll be pricing everything out before I order and I am more willing to drive the 30 minutes to my LHBS.

I am kinda bent that they got rid of FedEx though. I really liked the Saturday delivery. Now most of my order sit over the weekend when I order on a Tuesday, which is unacceptable.

Not sure if this was on thier site before, but in the about tab (http://www.northernbrewer.com/about/) I found this under "Prices"

"Northern Brewer has been serving homebrewers and winemakers for over 17 years, and we aren’t going anywhere. Rock-bottom, fire-sale price structures are unsustainable and create an uneven playing field that ultimately hurts the industry, hobby, and the community. Our price structure is competitive but built around sustainability, because our goal is to grow homebrewing as a hobby and industry, which will benefit the consumer by sustainable lower prices and improved selection through increased demand."

Makes sense as a business, but it kind of reminds me of my local record store when it closed, with a sign that said "The Internet Killed Your Record Store". NB's exceptional service & quality aside, they may still see problems with cheaper rivals. I won't stop shopping with them, as I mostly go to my LHBS, and order off NB when I need something the LHBS doesn't have or when ordering a whole bunch of supplies.

EDIT: More links from searching their site:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shipping/
http://www.northernbrewer.com/what-happened-to-your-flat-rate-shipping/

There's a lot of anxiety going on about a few bucks here and there.

I shop locally when I can, cuz nothing beats going there if I need something tomorrow. But 30 minutes to a local shop?? I wish I had that luxury! I call "local" 45-60 minutes...there are 4 shops in that range from my house. But it's a hobby and so that's what I do.

But NB and the other prominent internet retailers all have something unique that I want from time to time that my local shops don't stock or can't get, so that's when I go online to buy. Generally they're all pretty close in delivered price, so I really don't sweat it. They don't always have the same stock on oddball and specialty items, and so I go where I can find what I want when I want it.

As long as I don't think they're gouging me on shipping, then I'm all for truth in pricing and actual shipping costs if it means they stay in business. With the competition among them, I'm guessing their margins are pretty thin. I'd just as soon see them all get a fair buck on shipping so that they're still around the next time I need something from one of them.

Flat Rate shipping has always seemed like a trick to me as it just meant they raised prices to cover the true cost. Brew gear should cost what it costs and shipping should cost what is costs.

Not sure if this was on thier site before, but in the about tab (http://www.northernbrewer.com/about/) I found this under "Prices"
""Northern Brewer has been serving homebrewers and winemakers for over 17 years, and we aren’t going anywhere. Rock-bottom, fire-sale price structures are unsustainable and create an uneven playing field that ultimately hurts the industry, hobby, and the community. Our price structure is competitive but built around sustainability, because our goal is to grow homebrewing as a hobby and industry, which will benefit the consumer by sustainable lower prices and improved selection through increased demand."

As a consumer, I don't see how it is my job to worry about their sustainability. I don't see how consumers shopping for lower prices is bad for the hobby (getting new brewers started) or for the customers, it's called the marketplace. I would argue that there is enough competition that we don't need to worry about losing sources for ingredients.

To me this is just cop-out language to guilt consumers into paying their higher prices that can be found cheaper at multiple reputable large online vendors.

Like I said, I am not completely done with NB, they do offer some unique products that aren't available elsewhere (MO LME). That's how you win business, new products, innovation, etc. (for example Brewmasters Brew Builder) but this switch is bad for consumers and the hobby. If it catches on we have NB to blame.

Like I said, I am not completely done with NB, they do offer some unique products that aren't available elsewhere (MO LME). That's how you win business, new products, innovation, etc. (for example Brewmasters Brew Builder) but this switch is bad for consumers and the hobby. If it catches on we have NB to blame.

Blame? Flatrate shipping is a virus that has infected the homebrew scene. It's a boondoggle, and the sooner we can be rid of it the better. If NB can free us from the trappings of this mediocre psychologism, I'll nominate them for a Nobel Prize!

Wow... Definitely some string opinions here. Rightfully so when discussing money I suppose but as one member reported, we're only talking a few dollars. Worth it to me to support a company like NB that offers so much more than product. I support them for other things like their educational videos, customer service, extensive product selection and guys like Dawson and Keeler from Brewing TV that do so much more for the home brewing community.

I bought my starter kit, a fair amount of my equipment and some ingredient kits from Northern Brewer. I have been very satisfied with their prices and customer service.

I now brew all grain and buy in bulk so I get my base grains at my LHBSes because of the shipping.

I started shopping around long before the discontinued the flat rate shipping because I am on a very tight budget.

I will still buy from NB but still shop around. Really, nothing is changed for me.

I've done a bit of looking around the last couple of days. The gas To drive the 2 hours to a good "local" guys would cost me twice as much as shipping from NB. When I compared ordering a couple kits from the same "local" guy and a couple kits from NB, it was cheaper to order from NB. Not to mention, I get a lot more information about the kit I'm ordering from NB then from the "local" guy. I suppose when it comes time to get the grain mill and buy bulk I will make the 2 hour drive. Until then, it seems worth it to keep ordering from NB because at least I know exactly what I'm getting and they actually respond to my emails.

As a consumer, I don't see how it is my job to worry about their sustainability.

Yeah, we're "consumers". But we're in a hobby here. As a hobbyist, I don't "worry" about their sustainability per se. I worry about the availability of good products at legitimate prices, and good places and honest people from whom to buy them.

This could to either way I imagine, I just checked to see what shipping their AG American Amber Ale would cost to central VA. 11.96 to ship one AG kit.... I typically use my local anyway for my AG brews, but some kits I'd like to try I can't recreate because my local does not have the malt selection of NB...

It also sucks because I used to send family members to NB's site for Bday and Christmas gift kits... Not saying I still won't use them, but this changes some things. I didn't see the 7.99 flat rate going away anytime soon.

Hm well in the Google ads I saw NB had a 6.5 gallon glass carboy listed for 75 cents ... dang it if I didn't click on that ad and it said 'out of stock'. Usually I use the LHBS though I had ordered several times from homebrewit.com with good results.

Interesting, as I'm reading through this I get an email from Austin Homebrew Supply saying they're offering free shipping this Friday through Sunday on orders over $49.

I added three kits at NB just to check, and shipping for me was $10.83. I have used Midwest in my limited experience, but less than $1 extra a kit wouldn't stop me from using them.

They would be able to lower their prices if they would only send me catalogs twice a year instead of? seemingly like 8 a year? Sure, I like looking at them but color print is not cheap.

I'm glad I took advantage of NB's 15% off IPA kits with flat rate shipping a few weeks ago. Sucks to hear flat rate is gone

I go to my LHBS. They've always got 5 beers on tap, a wine tasting bar, and sell sacks of grain at their cost. The owners are builder-types, and there's always a cool brew rig or a customized brew pot for sale. Nothing against NB or the other great online outfits tho.....I just like supporting the homeboys.

jturie said:
I go to my LHBS. They've always got 5 beers on tap, a wine tasting bar, and sell sacks of grain at their cost. The owners are builder-types, and there's always a cool brew rig or a customized brew pot for sale. Nothing against NB or the other great online outfits tho.....I just like supporting the homeboys.

Damn... I don't blame you. If I had a LHBS like that I'd never leave.

I guy at work told me he placed an order with NB and the shipping charge was over $14. When I got home I put an all grain kit in my basket and went to check out and there it was $14 to ship 1 all grain kit. Looks like I will have to start going to my LHBS that I dont like. :mad:

Back