Holy Quinoa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorklord

Reaction score
I just rinsed and soaked some quinoa. I left it soaking for an hour or two while I went to the store, came back and couldn't believe how much it had 'poofed'. As I put it on the pan to start roasting it, I saw that a bunch of them have split and started forming little rootlets!

Holy crap this stuff started growing fast. And in the oven at 170, it seems to have kept growing for a while (it is still so wet it probably hasn't hit temp yet).

This stuff is nuts!

This stuff is delicious but...are brewing beer with it?

That was the plan, though I didn't really expect this stuff to start sprouting all over the place...its got crispy little rootlets now, so I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Maybe I can separate the rootlets out...

When barley is malted is begins to sprout. I always have what appears to be sprouts in my mash tun.

it sprouts fast. 2 days in a bucket changing the water for warm fresh 2x a day. dry it and toasted and youll have malted quinoa.

it sprouts fast. 2 days in a bucket changing the water for warm fresh 2x a day. dry it and toasted and youll have malted quinoa.

Seriously, I rinsed it 3 times, left in the water for an hour or so while I ran to the store, came back, and it was all sprouty. I should have taken a 'before' picture, before I roasted it and withered the rootlets.

Sorry but that's not a rootlet, gotta wait a couple days for that. Look at cooked quinoa and you'll see that the grain has a little tail wrapped around it. That's all you saw after 2-3 hours...

killjoy.

now to hijack the thread. ive been drinkin and thinkin

so, ive been pondering something lately. all grain quinoa batch with added enzymes.

straight up toast the quinoa in the oven. waft it for a week. crack it. boil it for an hour to gelatinize. now for the screwy bits. 24 hour mash. (when i did the 24hour mash for the chestnut batches it worked well). bring temp to 160F add enzyme mix. add more enzyme at hour 12.

brew per usual

killjoy.

now to hijack the thread. ive been drinkin and thinkin

so, ive been pondering something lately. all grain quinoa batch with added enzymes.

straight up toast the quinoa in the oven. waft it for a week. crack it. boil it for an hour to gelatinize. now for the screwy bits. 24 hour mash. (when i did the 24hour mash for the chestnut batches it worked well). bring temp to 160F add enzyme mix. add more enzyme at hour 12.

brew per usual

Extending your mash from 1-2hrs to 24hrs can help you get up to an additional percent or two of conversion, not all that meaningful. In addition, when using grain and not fruit, you have the possibility of creating what is called a sour mash. I am unfamiliar if GF grains have the same bacteria on them as barley does, but you can look up the style "Kentucky Common" for more information on what a 24hr mash can do.

Depending on your goal, it could certainly be interesting.

isnt the souring agent in sours lactobacillus?
wont boiling the grain past gelatinization temps kill anything that might already be in the grain? i wont have any green malt to add to the mash.

only a percent or 2? that could be substantial when im shooting for 5-7 percent.

ill look in to the kentucky common style.

the only bacteria i should have to worry about is the stuff festering in my mash tun. so that will get a nice scrubbin before anything. but im a give this one a go as soon as i have time. so hopefully sunday night ill be able to get some stuff roasted

I didn't realize you were roasting the entire grain bill, you should be fine. And yes, if you boil the grain pre-enzymes then that should also kill any lacto.

I was mostly just remarking at the similarities of the process and the potential result.

Back