Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I am going to pitch some champaing yeast into my secondary for an imperial stout I did the gravity came down from 1.083 to 1.025 I want it lower but my black malt profile is a bit high. I want to add some chocolate to mellow it out plus maybe some risidual sweetness my question is if I add some chocolate syrup to the mix will it kill the yeast there are probably some preservatives in there anyone every use chocolate syrup and if I use cocoa powder can I add that to the secondary I was thinking of mixing it with a bit of vodka to sterilize it.

*warning opinion attached* :D

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it man. In 6 months of aging all that stuff is going to change so greatly. I would leave it and see! You are 70% attenuated roughly, the Champagne is a good idea if you want it drier...but how long has it been going? The reason I ask is in an Imperial Stout you kind of want that viscous feeling imo.

I want it a bit drier it is too sweet right now and the gravity hasn't dropped in 4 days its been in there 2 weeks.

I would probably pitch the Champagne then if you want to dry it out but would still really suggest allowing it to ride it out flavorwise. I agree 25 is high, but the thing is you don't want to reduce all your maltiness. The style itself can be as high finished as 30 (as per bjcp guidelines). That style really begs to be viscous and chewy on the mouth. Drying it out will take you away from that. Keep in mind this is a very complex beer that is going to radically change in a few months, as long as your IBU levels were good in the recipe I would give it time...but that is just me. Do what you feel comfortable with man :rockin:

I would, however, avoid the chocolate syrup. That's all just artificial badness. I probably wouldn't add anything at this point, adding even real chocolate has its own issues (oils killing your head retention, for example). If you do, I think Dutch-processed cocoa (I think that's the term) has had most of the oils removed.

the_bird said:
I would, however, avoid the chocolate syrup. That's all just artificial badness. I probably wouldn't add anything at this point, adding even real chocolate has its own issues (oils killing your head retention, for example). If you do, I think Dutch-processed cocoa (I think that's the term) has had most of the oils removed.

Yeah Dutch Processed. Well this is what I was getting at. Adding something now either way is odd because the thing needs to finish becoming what it is and it would be like trying to change it before it was what it is lol.

If after 6 months you say, man that should've had some chocolate in it, then on the next batch do so. That thing has a long way to go before you can judge it, imo. I hope that helps?

I should have asked this before I started my starter what pray tell should I do with my champaign yeast? Now I'm thinkin' don't pitch it.

voodoochild7 said:
I want it a bit drier it is too sweet right now and the gravity hasn't dropped in 4 days its been in there 2 weeks.

Only 2 weeks? That's no time at all for an imperial stout. It is waaaay too early to be worrying about messing with it. Shove that thing back in the closet and forget about it for at least a month (just check the airlock now and then to add more liquid). The gravity will continue to drop slowly for at least that long. For a big beer like that, I leave them in primary for 3 - 4 weeks and then in secondary for a month or longer. I then keg or bottle and let them sit for another 6 months before they are ready to drink. This is not a beer you can rush.

Don't add champagne yeast to the beer. This will impart different flavors that you don't want in a beer. Any beer yeast will work in a beer up to 15-18% alcohol. Yours will be 8.5% maximum so your current yeast can handle it just fine.

It sounds like you may have pitched without a starter and you racked to secondary too soon. As such you started with an insufficient amount of yeast and then cut the amount again when you racked. As I said before, don't get in a hurry. Yeast works on its own schedule, not yours. Just be patient and let it do its job. It will be slow because of the handicaps I mentioned, but it will get there.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Latest posts

Back