Extract recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00t

Reaction score
Ok so I was gonna try this Triple Hopped Pilsner.... not sure about the hops tho, so please let me know what you think... Is this an a$$load of hops or what? Does the simcoe push it over to a ridiculous amount :drunk:?

Briess Pilsen Extra Light LME 6.25 pounds
1 oz Saaz US 5.8% AA 60 min boil
1 oz Hallertau 4.6% AA 30 min boil
1/2 oz Simcoe 12.2% AA 15 min boil
1/2 oz Simcoe 12.2% AA flame out
SAFLAGER S-23 yeast

I dont think it is a ridiculous amount. Most of your bittering hops are low % AA. The Simcoe is going to be mostly for flavor and aeromatics and not for bittering. Although it is going to be a hoppy beer, it says it in the name.

the original recipe used
Target, German Pellets 8.6% 1 oz @ 60 mins
Hersbrucker, German Pellets 2.5% .5 oz @ 15 mins
Hersbrucker, German Pellets 2.5% .5 oz @ 3 mins
but I love Saaz and Hallertau and heard good things about Simcoe so I wanna use them. The Screwy Brewer Hop Calculator gives about the same IBUs 37 vs 40.... (just found that handy app )

You'll get more saaz flavor and aroma if you put them later in the boil or as a dryhop. Putting them at 60 boils off most of the flavor and aroma compounds leaving mostly the bittering - and they're a relatively low bittering hop.

Ok, so swap them with the Simcoe... 1 oz simcoe 60 min...
and then split the Saaz up 1/2 oz 15 min then 1/2 oz at flame out...

Qa tlho'

Really, that much Saaz? Well, damn, I only had the 1 ounce...
I already brewed it up.... threw 1/2 ounce Saaz 15 min then the other 1/2 ounce at flame out.
Guess I'll post in a couple weeks how it turned out :)

this beer turned out great... maybe more like an ipa??? high alcohol content (a 5 gallon batch at 4 gallons) and hoppy........ i liked it but of course a few of the BMC crowd got into it and one called it "panther piss"....... Meh, I didn't brew it for them. The only thing that saddens me is that I had a ball lock leak about half a gallon :,( and now its gone

Back