Dry yeast preference for SA Noble Pils Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
I am tinkering with a recipe for this beer and am curious as to yeast choice. I'll make a large liquid starter if I have to, but I would prefer to just rehydrate and pitch a couple of 11.5 gram packs of dry yeast.

I've only made a single lager with dry yeast to date. I used s-23 and it's still lagering so I have not had a chance to taste my finished product.

I am looking at either s-23 or w-34/70 and was looking for input from anyone who's used both yeasts. Which would be appropriate for this beer? If my memory of this beer serves, it had a fairly good body and maltiness. That makes me lean toward the 34/70, but I am open to suggestions

For those of you absolutely against dried lager yeasts, I would also be interested in input on your favorite liquid strains for a beer like this.

Both have the same attenuation range, I've used s-23 before with good results, and the w-34/70 is from weihenstephan it's hard to go wrong with anything from them.

Is pitching temp as important for a dried lager yeast? I pitched the s-23 lager I am lagering now at around 70 just to get things started. As soon as I got krausen (around 10 hours), I dropped the temp into the low 50s. I was at fermentation temp less than 24 hours after pitching

When I say tinkering, I mean I am taking this and modifying it to meet my system and taking into account some of the lessons learned from the guys on the thread.

It seems like a pretty straightforward recipe and one of the guys even took the time to get some input from the brewers at SA over the phone.

I've tried s-23 a couple times and never got anything lager-tasting out of it. w34/70, on the other hand, turned out great in an Oktoberfest I brewed last year.

Back