drink outside the box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcody2005

Reaction score
In order to expand my beer pallete i have been buying many different 6 packs of different brands and styles. Im new to homebrewing so i figured this type of research would be an important step tword what i was doing. I have been drinking lagger beers for many years and decided that if i was going to be homebrewing, it was time to "drink outside the box". I tried everything from ipa"s to stouts and lots of other things in between. all drinkable and all worthy of the charectoristics that make them unique... untill i tried Bass Pale Ale. Dont hate me for thinking with my tastebuds, but this stuff is awfull! coud I have gotten a bad batch, or did they name this stuff after the actual fish? was it fish i tasted, or wet dog... maybee old dish water. cant put my finger on it. Anyway all joking aside, is it supposed to laste like that? If it is, and your a fan of this beer, please send me all the hate mail you want because im officially calling you crazy.

Could have been a bad batch. First time I tried Bass (at least that I remember), it was at a restaurant, and it was very good tasting. Later, I bought a six pack and got home and it tasted like you described (all the above), and I ended up throwing them out!...which begs the question...oh, I'll start a new thread for that.

It sounds like you got a bad bottle that hasn't been handled correctly. What you are describing sounds like oxygenation or something. It may have been on the shelf a long time and the conditions the beer is subjected to during transportation are less than ideal. Bass ale is a darn good beer.

think i might try it again from another distributor. although i finished the 6 pack, i needed to drink 3 good beers for every 1 bass ale (3x6=18). I love research!

mcody2005 said:
think i might try it again from another distributor. although i finished the 6 pack, i needed to drink 3 good beers for every 1 bass ale (3x6=18). I love research!

:drunk: LMAO!!

Try to find somewhere that has Bass on tap--I promise you'll have a different experience. It's a fantastic beer, really very nice..sounds like you just had a bad batch.

Bass has been hit or miss in my experience. I've had bottles a few times, and thus I'm leary to get it at restaurants. It's also been my experience that a bar/restaurant that has Bass usually has something more interesting, like Guiness, Tetleys, or perhaps an IPA.

I shall consider a tapped glass next time I'm out.

marshman said:
Bass has been hit or miss in my experience. I've had bottles a few times, and thus I'm leary to get it at restaurants. It's also been my experience that a bar/restaurant that has Bass usually has something more interesting, like Guiness, Tetleys, or perhaps an IPA.

I shall consider a tapped glass next time I'm out.

Yeah, I love Tetley's.

I purchased a single bottle of Bass Ale a few days back. I think it had sat for a while, had a really dry, wine-like taste. It wasn't bad per say, but not an experience worth repeating unless I know how old the beer is.

The first few times I had Bass it was in a black & tan. I tried it on it's own a few times and didn't care for it so much. I drink my Guinness straight-up now.

This is interesting as this discussion has come up (I think) more than once now. It was the same topic iirc. It would seem that Bass is indeed a hit or miss experience based on the collective input...:cross:

IIRC last time the importer of Bass changed in the states, they went on a PR/"educational" campaign to combat the issues with horrid tasting bass on draught. Personally I am not a huge fan of bass (and have not had it for years) but when I do sample from either bottle or tap, I stick to places with decent turnover.

I look at Bass the same way as Guinness. If you get it at a bar that sells enough to keep it fresh, it's great. If you go to a primarily BMC bar that has Bass/Guinness/Newcastle on tap chances are it's been sitting around for awhile and it's gonna suck... If I see it in a liquor store and the bottles have a fair amount of dust built up on them, buy something else...

I had a 12er of Bass around superbowl time. It was probably a little old. It smelled funny in the bottle. However when I poured into a glass the smell was nearly gone, if not significantly better.

This week on Beer Hunter: Pale Ales!

I cannot stand pale ales...at least the 2 commercial brews I tried: Sierra Nevada Pale ale, and Boulevard Pale Ale.

Way
Too
Bitter

maybe someday I'll grow some taste buds that can handle it...but not this week.

Bike N Brew said:
Yikes! Not sure I've ever heard anyone say they'd take a Foster's over anything.

But ya get the big cool can.

<< Yes buy fosters every once in a while, just cause I like the big can. :D

Bike N Brew said:
Yikes! Not sure I've ever heard anyone say they'd take a Foster's over anything.

I would take a fosters over an a$$ bludgeoning, but beyond that...................

Hop bitterness, like many stronger flavors (Fine cheeses, Indian food), is an aquired taste that, given a chance, usually grows on you. Obviously it's not for everyone, but give it a chance before you cross it off your list. Incedentally, standard pales are only about a medium on the hop bitterness spectrum of beer.

I am a little biased,.... I'm heading to pour an IPA now.

Latest posts

Back