Using New Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krazy Bazturd

Reaction score
The first few batches that I have brewed were partial boils and I was able to use my 5 gallon ss kettle. For my next batch I will need to use the 30qt aluminum kettle that came with my turkey fryer. Is there anything special I need to do to the aluminum kettle prior to using it for the first time?

All you need to do is clean it out with a mild detergent and rinse well. In maintaining your aluminum pot, I'll directly quote John Palmer from his book, "How to Brew".

"Cleaning Stainless Steel and Aluminum
For general cleaning, mild detergents or percarbonate-based cleaners are best for steel and aluminum. Bleach should be avoided because the high pH of a bleach solution can cause corrosion of aluminum and to a lessor degree of stainless steel. Do not clean aluminum shiny bright or use bleach to clean an aluminum brewpot because this removes the protective oxides and can result in a metallic taste. This detectable level of aluminum is not hazardous. There is more aluminum in a common antacid tablet than would be present in a batch of beer made in an aluminum pot."

This is a highly recommended book. It will answer just about every basic question you could have and plenty of advanced questions when you're ready to venture deeper.

Back