Want to use Quinoa in an Amber Ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinklefwat

Reaction score
So I'd like to add some quinoa to a standard amber ale recipe that I brew. The idea would be to add a little bit of a nutty flavor and a little more interesting character. What's the "best" way to use it? Should I try to roast it, boil it, or what?

Quinoa smells like corn husks to me -- pure DMS. It would be cool to use it in a brew, but you might need an extra long boil...

I'm a huge fan of quinoa as a specialty grain in beer. Its flavors are very wort-like, and I've gotten pretty decent conversion on some of the lighter malts. That said, I'm going to do a few experiments this week to find out more.

Experiments:
-Do normal beer-rests, then at 155 F add some amylase.
-Do normal beer-rests, then when I would move to 155 F bring up to at least 180 F to try to get past the gelatinization temp. Then bring down with decoction cooling to 155 F and add amylase enzymes.

On all experiments I will use a refractometer to see how well things are converting and maybe hone in on what the expected yield might be for each version.

Further experiments for later this month:
-Do a Wit with Quinoa as only specialty grain (brewing this weekend), then do the same beer with Millet as the only specialty grain.

I hope you let us know how the testing goes! I've tried mashing (partial mash?) on the stove top and really don't know what I'm doing, so any information like this is really helpful (and interesting).

Thanks!

Another thought on quinoa, you can get flaked quinoa these days similar to any flaked grain. i bought mine at a natural foods store here in jersey. i'd oven roast a whole box (about a half pound) until it turned light brown and add it into the mash with all the other grains. the starches already have a head start and are basically ready to go.

my last time using quinoa i tried to malt it. it went well, but i don't think it was any better than any of my other extract brews at that time. it was cloudy as hell though.

if you use whole quinoa make sure you rinse it as the seed/grain is covered in a layer of alkali that will mess up your pH and doesn't taste so good. A quick wash will get most of this but its better to cover it with water completely, then poor the water off.

Back