Will my turkey fryer burner support a keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I don't have the dimensions with me but I'm assuming that if it is designed to hold a large kettle with a big bird in it, it should be able to hold a keggle for a 10 gallon brew, right??

Does anyone here brew with a standard turkey fryer burner and a keggle??

I don't have the dimensions with me but I'm assuming that if it is designed to hold a large kettle with a big bird in it, it should be able to hold a keggle for a 10 gallon brew, right??

Does anyone here brew with a standard turkey fryer burner and a keggle??

I do. I bought a super cheap-o turkey fryer at walmart and it holds my keggle just fine.

mine is round and the exact size as my keggle bottom ring. Added 4: 2"x2" squares of steel with a welder to give it a better support.

When in doubt, use a tape measure.

Mine was also round and exactly the same size. I had a hunk of 1" wide x 1/8" thick steel bar, so I cut it into two bars, (18" long each), and I put them parallel to each other on top of the burner, close to the outside....hmmm, tough to explain....picture an equal sign "=" on top of the letter "o". That stabilized it well.

i've done a 10 gal batch on a turkey fryer burner - I used an old gas grill grate on top of the turkey fryer burner and it worked well.

Mine didn't. Well, it would have worked but the keggle was a bit bigger around than the turkey fryer burner, and it needed more support. A couple of concrete blocks probably would have been fine, but I couldn't get it set up so that it would sit right.

The 24" round heavy duty grill replacment grate " I got mine at Lowes" is perfect for me and it also works for smaller pans for taking it camping.

I did make the mistake of first ripping the top shelf off my BBQ and trying to use that. Don't do it. It's far too thin gauge....damn thing nearly melted in half.

I actually used my rig for the first time today. I have a cheapo turky fryer but the burner is very nice. It got 12 gallons up to temp very quickly.

Anyways, mine has 3 legs and when you push down on the burner they move outward. I noticed the feet of the legs each have two holes in them for obvious mounting purposes. I proceeded to purchase a piece of plywood and 2x4 pieces and bolted the legs to the wood structure. Now it is very stable and the legs do not move at all. I can even stand on it with no flux! I weigh 250lbs.

You should be good but, check to see if you can stabalize it a little more.

I just switched to a keggle on my turkey fryer burner and I immediately noticed that while my burner is flat, the bottom of my keg is domed. The keg wobbled around more than I liked so I took a lever and bent the burner supports down in the middle to make the surface domed too. After doing that w/ a little tweaking it works great. I can only get to the burner in one spot now though, in the cutout where the burner goes through the housing. Not a problem, just took a little "improvement"

Mine did the same thing, johnny. I just left the keggle on top and let the weight of it bend it down once the supports got red hot. OK so I didn't do that entirely on purpose....

Used a replacement Lower Charcoal grill from a Weber BBQ I got at Lowes or HD. Works great. Thicker metal than the top grate.

Dave

Back