Harpoon Leviathan IIPA - need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cushdan

Reaction score
I am planning on doing an IIPA as my next batch but have not finalized a recipe yet. I like the hop flavors of the Harpoon Leviathan IIPA and would like to do a clone or something close to it but have not been able to find any tried and true recipes for it.

Does anyone have a recipe or an idea to start me off? The Harpoon site lists these details

hops: Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe, and Amarillo
IBU: 122
ABV: 10%

so that's definitely a start but not a good indication of what most of the hop flavor profile should come from. I've made Yooper's DFH 60 clone which is mostly Amarillo and Simcoe for flavor but the Leviathan is different so the Chinook/Centennial must come into play. Also do you think I need to do anything special as far as malt? Maybe a little Crystal?

Thanks for any help

Interesting. I just drank a bunch of this over the weekend while in Louisville. Very nice beer.

From their website: Leviathan Imperial IPA is brewed with tons of pale malt and just enough caramel malt to provide a sweet malt body to balance the hop intensity. We used copious amounts of a variety of hops including Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe, and Amarillo at various points during the boil to create a complex hop flavor and clean lingering bitter finish. We then fermented the beer with Harpoon’s own versatile proprietary yeast. Finally, we dry hopped at a rate of over 1 lb a barrel to produce this beer’s massive aroma.

You could try contacting the brewery. They might tell you the recipe, or give you hints.

But you know the grains and hops used, so it should be a piece of cake to build yourself a similar recipe since you know the abv and IBU. Good luck.

I've been screwing around with BeerCalculus and this is what I have right now. Any thoughts are welcome:

hopville . "Beast Infection" Imperial IPA Recipe

Code:
10 lb X-Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb	Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
1 lb	Crystal 60L
Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Original Gravity    1.104
Final Gravity    1.026
Color    13° SRM
IBU: 112.3 (used average calculation)

Boil 	60 mins 	1.0 	Yakima Magnum info 	pellet 	13.0
Boil 	60 mins 	1.5 	Chinook info 	pellet 	13.0
Boil 	60 mins 	1.0 	Centennial info 	pellet 	10.0
Boil 	15 mins 	1.0 	Simcoe info 	pellet 	13.0
Boil 	15 mins 	1.0 	Centennial info 	pellet 	10.0
Boil 	5 mins- 	0.5 	Centennial info 	pellet 	10.0
Boil 	5 mins- 	0.5 	Chinook info 	pellet 	13.0
Boil 	5 mins- 	1.0 	Amarillo info 	pellet 	7.0
Dry hop 	6 days 	1.0 	Simcoe info 	pellet 	13.0
Dry hop 	6 days 	1.0 	Centennial info 	pellet 	10.0
Dry hop 	6 days 	0.5 	Centennial info 	pellet 	10.0

I've been screwing around with BeerCalculus and this is what I have right now. Any thoughts are welcome:

hopville . "Beast Infection" Imperial IPA Recipe

Code:
10 lb X-Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb	Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
1 lb	Crystal 60L
Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Original Gravity    1.104
Final Gravity    1.026
Color    13° SRM
IBU: 112.3 (used average calculation)

Boil 	60 mins 	1.0 	Yakima Magnum info 	pellet 	13.0
Boil 	60 mins 	1.5 	Chinook info 	pellet 	13.0
Boil 	60 mins 	1.0 	Centennial info 	pellet 	10.0
Boil 	15 mins 	1.0 	Simcoe info 	pellet 	13.0
Boil 	15 mins 	1.0 	Centennial info 	pellet 	10.0
Boil 	5 mins- 	0.5 	Centennial info 	pellet 	10.0
Boil 	5 mins- 	0.5 	Chinook info 	pellet 	13.0
Boil 	5 mins- 	1.0 	Amarillo info 	pellet 	7.0
Dry hop 	6 days 	1.0 	Simcoe info 	pellet 	13.0
Dry hop 	6 days 	1.0 	Centennial info 	pellet 	10.0
Dry hop 	6 days 	0.5 	Centennial info 	pellet 	10.0

So, did you ever end up making this? I love Leviathan IPA and would love to make something like it.

Back