Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a home brew kit. The directions, that came with, told me to do all the boiling, yadda, yadda, but when it came to fermentating. I fermented for 2 weeks. Check a.b.u. Wich was 0%. But then add sugar, when bottling. Then ferment for another week or two. I come out with low to no carbonation. And hardly any alcohol. Should I, just add the sugar last. When everything is said and done? So the yeast eats away at the sugar while fermenteing in the bucket?

How did you check the Abu? If you use a hydrometer, you have to read the specific gravity (sg) and not the alcohol on it.

Did you bottle it after you added the second sugar? How does it taste?

When you use extract, as long as the yeast is still alive and you pitch at les than 100 or so you'll get the alcohol content on the instructions, there aren't really any other variables except the amount of water. If you post a list of the specific steps you took we can try to figure it out.

I recently purchased a home brew kit. The directions, that came with, told me to do all the boiling, yadda, yadda, but when it came to fermentating. I fermented for 2 weeks. Check a.b.u. Wich was 0%. But then add sugar, when bottling. Then ferment for another week or two. I come out with low to no carbonation. And hardly any alcohol. Should I, just add the sugar last. When everything is said and done? So the yeast eats away at the sugar while fermenteing in the bucket?

i think your measuring may be askew. there is no abu, and if you added yeast and it fermented at all, there would have been some alcohol. what did you do to measure original gravity and gravity at the time you later checked it?

Where are you from? This will give us an idea of how best to help. Some places use different lingo and or equipment.

The "standard" method of fermenting is to let it do it's thing and then check gravity with a Hydrometer. You *should* have some gravity left over, meaning you did not lose every bit of sugar (like a wine can).

After you have the gravity down to it's expected level (1.012 or maybe less) you siphon into a bottling bucket with a sugar water solution and bottle. The yeast will eat the sugar and produce more alcohol AND CO2, but it will be contained within the bottle so it stays in solution until you open the bottle and get bubbles (CO2 becoming gaseous)

Some kits will have you add sugar along with the malt, but they are (usually) trying to save money by not giving enough malt. There are some beer styles that call for additional sugar as well, such as some Belgian beers. But generally you want the fermentables to come from grains. The 4 ounces of sugar is just to carb up the bottles.

Flagstaff, Az be where I live. Think your right. I brewed another batch, last Saturday. Checked my levels and taste. The same as I first checked when I brewed it. this batch. I have fermenting at a lower temp as well. 64 63° instead of constant 73°. But it's still the same. I'm lost. I'm doing something wrong. Just don't know what. I'm still novice. Trying to be brewmaster, lost.

. I fermented for 2 weeks. Check a.b.u. Wich was 0%. But then add sugar, when bottling. Then ferment for another week or two. I come out with low to no carbonation. And hardly any alcohol. Should I, just add the sugar last. When everything is said and done? So the yeast eats away at the sugar while fermenteing in the bucket?

stop adding sugar then fermenting for 2 more weeks.
when its done add the priming sugar and bottle.

Could it be your capping? Two weeks should be three. But are you making sure your bottling addition (sugars&water) are being mixed throughout the bottling bucket? Did you add anything to the boil that might have produced oil in the batch?

Lots of potenial reasons, need to know more about the steps you took.

Not sure. Working on 3rd batch as we speak. It has been fermenting for a week now. A lot of bubbles in my airlock. Do I not have enough yeast? I add whatever testtube from whitelabs. 3, 4 ozs. To 5 gals. More yeast? I bet that be me screw up? Aaaarrrrggghhh.

why is this so hilarious Pabloj13?

Because it was like a hilarious drunken pirate on caffeine was asking questions. Just relax. It's probably worth slowing down your pipeline a little bit if you have such basic questions. No reason to make gallon after gallon of iffy beer. We're going to need some more information to really help you.

What was the kit you bought and recipe?

How are you measuring specific gravity?

Why would "lots of bubbles in your airlock" make you think you didn't have enough yeast? One vial of White Labs is not really ideal for a moderate beer, but many many people have made beer that way. Ideally you'd like to make a starter in the future, but it's going to be ok?

Give me some answers, matey.

why is this so hilarious Pabloj13?

I'm very new to brewing as well, and not trying to be an expert, but you definitely need to slow down a bit.

I'm confused about a few things with your process and your measurements.

1. How are you figuring your ABU is 0%? Measurements for alcohol content are taken by using a hydrometer to measure your OG and your FG to see how much of the sugar has been turned into alcohol by the yeast.

2. The sugar you have added after 2 weeks, You didn't completely explain how you went about this process. This is likely the priming sugar, it is used for priming the bottles to create carbonation. You would dissolve this sugar in water, add it to your bottling bucket with your fermented beer, and then bottle it up. The remaining yeast in the beer will turn this sugar into carbonation within 2-3 weeks.

If you added this sugar to the fermenter and allowed it to sit for another 2 weeks you will have successfully allowed your carbonation (or the vast majority of it) to release right out of your airlock, giving you a flat beer.

As long as you are following the directions of the kit for the boil you should have plenty of sugar for the yeast to eat. Follow the instructions with the yeast and you will have plenty to eat the sugar and turn it into alcohol. Follow the instructions for fermentation, take your readings with a hydrometer to confirm when it has completed, prime the beer and bottle correctly. Finally, you will have beer, that won't be too sweet and will have plenty of alcohol and carbonation.

It would be very helpful to know what size of batch you are making, and where you got the "Kit" or ingredients if it was a self made recipe.

I use a hydrodmeter to check a.b.v. I boild 4 gal. Of water with1 lb. of malt. Pulling out the sock just before the boil. While also adding my hops at the aloted times. Aroma 5 mins, bitterness 10 mins. I think. I have it all written down in me beer diary. After the boil. I put the kettle, pot. In a ice bath, to bring down the temp to 80° or so. I don't have a thermometer. (I'm poor.) Trying to purchase one. It took a few hours to cool down. Then poured it into my 6 gal fermenting bucket, with one gallon in there. I did it that way to just do it. Don't know why. I tossed in my yeast. Stirred and shook the hell out of it. Then set in cool dark corner of closet for a week. From 8/18 to 8/25. I tested my a.b.v twice. Readings are the same. Taste the sameni carb to very little carb. I'm looking into getting activators or something to get it going. My 3rd batch is my 2nd batch all over agian. I'm using 1lb. Of malt, 2 oz. of hops, and I, think 2, 3, or 4 oz. of yeast. Trying to make a stout. Wich I, know is harder from what I've read and heard. I'm llllloooosssttt. I've spent 4 years reading about brewing it. But until you put it into action. I don't use extract. Think I, might in the 4th batch. I'll take any advice I can get. There is a local brewery in town (Flagstaff.) Every fisrt Tuesday of the month. They hold meetings to help homebrewers. Found that out last week. Thank you. I know, there are a few more tools I need to purachase. May or may not help me with my proscess. Think I may trash this batch. Work on my 4th. Thank you goodnight.

You should try a liquid yeast. It comes in a refrigerated package, you smack it and the package swells up in an hour or so, and you pour the yeast in. It's only a couple bucks more and very effective. I made a stout and it was done fermenting in a week! Just ask for a liquid yeast for Irish Ale(same as stout). Once your bubbles stop in fermentor, take a hydrometer reading, then another reading every day for about three days. If it doesn't change, it's done and ready to bottle or keg. If you bottle, add priming sugar to your bucket, then bottle! No sugar required for kegging. I just made an Irish stout and screwed up every aspect of the brewing and kegging process, and I still saved it. Believe me bro, you can always save the beer! Don't throw no more out my friend, it's always salvageable!

Also, 1lb of malt isn't enough for 5lbs of stout. You should have like 6 lbs. maybe you don't have enough sugars in your brew!

Ok, stop making more beers. You need to get a kit and follow the instructions. If you didn't use ANY extract and you nearly boiled a single pound of grain in a 5 gallon batch you are going to have almost no sugar at all. Tell us what the actual hydrometer readings are using the "Specific gravity" part of the scale. It should be something on the 1.000 to 1.090 scale. Also, are you referring to the beer not being carbonated in the fermenter?

You need to order an actual kit and follow the instructions. As others have said, you have way to little sugar in the batch for the yeast to work. Order a true kit from MWS or some other site. The kit will likely cost $30-$40 but is much cheaper than trying to purchase individual ingredients.

If you continue doing what you are now, you will continue to purchase inadequate ingredients and will not create a drinkable beer, pouring batch after batch down the drain... Buy a Kit, and follow the instructions strictly, and make sure it is a 5Gal. batch if that is what you are making...

Many of your processes seem to be way off of traditional. I know you say you've been reading for several years, but you should take a step back, read the abundant amount of information on this site, and actually learn to brew beer. If you can follow instructions, you can make beer, if you do not follow instructions, you will likely continue what you are doing now...

So my ratios are off dramatically? 6 lbs of malt. Sweet. Doing it with 4th batch. How do I salvage this 3rd batch I have? I know it isn't going to be exactly what I want. But would like to bottle and drink it. If I use 6lbs of malt, still use 2 oz of hops? Thank you to all. Never thought it would be a ratio thing. Damn, damn...damn damn.

Now you've said you've read up on brewing beer for four years.... were some pages stuck together? I really find it hard to believe you've researched four years into the topic and have done what've you done. It is like you skipped entire sections of the process. The one pound grain steep, I get and understand, but usually that steep is followed by 6 pounds or so of extract as you build to boil. Did you not know that?

As others have stated start with a kit, a simple low cost kit that has instructions you can understand. Most of these places also have help available to clear any questions up. Or stop in your local supply shop and have them walk you through. Don't continue to do it wrong. Clear your mind, start over. I don't mean to be harsh and apologize if I sound that way. It's just frustrating to hear your situation and the talk about money being tight and just seeing you waste your efforts. Regroup find some instructions and follow them.

Another thing, well a couple other things..find a receipe and follow it. Make good brew using somebody else's receipe several times and then go off on your own.

And as far as things like a thermometer.... check your local retail stores cooking sections. You can find a thermometer that will work for you under $5. Many of the other things that can help you have a successful brew can be found there too very cheaply.

I guess I did not read properly. Forgive me for my ignorance. But, yeah. Think this batch is trash. Trash the batch. Aaarrgghhh. I'm not gonna even bother with gravities on this batch. Done. Moving on.

Furture of the 4th batch. 6 lbs. Of grains. 2 ozs. Of hops and a test tube of yeast. I just want to make a good strong stout. I can be proud of.

No. Do not use 6 lbs of grains. I am thinking all-grain might be above your paygrade at this point. Follow a recipe or buy a kit. Read the sticky I linked for you.

It sounds like you've made three batches the exact same way & are expecting different results; take a step back & make sure you understand why we do certain things as homebrewers before we tackle how to do things:

Good homebrewing practices are about many things. Hopefully you know & follow proper cleaning & sanitizing practices. Equally as important is using appropriate volumes, temperatures and times. But at the core of it all is essentially turning a sugar solution (at appropriate ratios) into carbonated alcohol. Extract (liquid or dry) is a simple way to get that sugar. When combined with an appropriate amount of water, that sugar solution (along with the hops, etc.) can be fermented with the appropriate number of yeast cells at a designated temperature to produce flat beer within a certain amount of time. Once fermentation is complete there will be some residual yeast in your flat beer that, when combined with another appropriate amount of sugar, will produce carbonation (as long as it is in a sealed container). Brewing CAN be about experimentation with these variables, but one needs to understand the appropriate amounts & temps needed at each step of the process to make the beer you are anticipating.

As others have said: buy a kit from a reputable source, and follow the directions. This kit will have the appropriate amounts of everything you need (except water) for the size of batch it is made for (usually 5 gals) & give proper timeline guidance where appropriate.

You won't totally screw up the beer if your volumes, times & temps are a bit off; however, if you are way out of wack you aren't going to make the beer you were expecting.

I don't think it is mt method so much as I just don't have enough. My 1st batch was great. But I also had 6.6 lbs of extract. The other 2 batches are coming out the same. Same taste and no a.b.v. Hell nothing.

I will add, if this isn't a troll, I don't know how to feel about it.

That is exactly what I'm starting to think...

25518- Just follow advice as given, once you buy a kit and follow the instructions, get back with us if you have issues...

25518, here's my Irish stout recipe. It's really easy, and comes out great. Give it a try...
6lbs amber malt extract
1lb roasted barley
1lb amber dry malt extract (dme)
1lb flaked barley
2oz fuggles hops
3/4 cup corn sugar (for priming)
Liquid yeast packet for Irish Ale
3- 1gallon jugs of drinking water

Put the 3 1gallon jugs in your freezer. Also pop the yeast packet to activate it. Make sure all your brewing supplies are sanitized and ready to go.
Add 3 gallons of water to your boiling pot and bring to a rapid boil. Make sure to have a spray bottle of cold water for the hot break. At some point your brew will foam up and try to boil over, just spray it down with the cold water and it won't do it again because the hot break is over. Slowly stir in the 6lbs amber malt extract, and 1lb amber dry malt extract. Look at the clock, take note what time it is. Then get 3 steeping bags ($3-$5 each). Take half the roasted barley and half the flaked barley, add to one steeping bag, tie it off and put it in the boil. Make sure you stir the crap out of the malt or it will stick to the pot and burn. Also keep the bag off the bottom, it'll float at first but tie it off to your handle or something. Boil 30 minutes this way. Then add the rest of the roasted barley and flaked barley to the other steeping bag and put it in the boil, tie off to the other side of the pot. Boil another 15 minutes. Then add your fuggles to the last steeping bag and toss in the pot. Boil another 15 minutes with everything in there. That's a total of one hour. Turn off the stove, take out all your steeping bags, and get your fermenting bucket ready. Take that water you put in the freezer and dump about 2 1/2 gallons of that cold ass water into your fermenting bucket. Then, using 2 sock filters combined, one inside the other, pour your boiled wort through the sock filters into the fermenting bucket, watch out the steam is hot! If you end up with a little more than 5 gallons it's ok. If you don't have a thermometer, cover the bucket with the lid and wait until the bottom outside of the bucket is Luke warm. Shouldn't have to wait too long, the ice water brings the temp down fast! If you have another bucket and 2 more sock filters, pour the cooled beer into the other bucket through the filter to get the rest of the gunk out, but it's not necessary. Take a small sample into a tall glass or flask and drop in the hydrometer and write down the reading. It should be about 1.050. If you want you can drop it right into the fermenting bucket to get the reading, just make it quick and be clean as possible. Grab the hydrometer out, open your yeast packet which should be swollen by now, and pour it in. Give it a good quick stir and cap the bucket off with your lid, then add your cork and filter. Make sure you fill that filter up half way with vodka, or Iodophor solution. Put the bucket in a dark place that stays warm, and leave it for a couple weeks. You'll know when you're done fermenting because you're hydrometer readings won't change. After about a week start taking readings, it should get down to about 1.013 When you're ready to prime the bottles, clean the crap out of them and set them upside down to dry. Also make sure to sterilize your caps. boil 1 cup of water with the 3/4 cup of corn sugar and then add to the fermented beer. Fill up your bottles, cap and put them in a dark place for another week or two. Try one after about a week and see how it tastes and froths up. If you're satisfied have at it! Otherwise wait a few more days. Don't listen to these guys talkin crap on here, they forgot what it was like to be starting out apparently. This recipe is dead-on every time and super easy once you do it once, it's a breeze. Let me know if you got any questions about any of this and happy brewing! Oh, and make sure to clean all your stuff as soon as you're done or it'll be really hard later. A lot of people are paranoid perfectionists, just do the best you can, learn from your mistakes, and enjoy what you created.

I understand the proscess. Just noy getting my proper amounts right, I guess????

Didn't cross my mind. But all I'm trying to get is a straight answer. 5 - 6 pounds of malt to 5 gal. of water?

25518 said:
Didn't cross my mind. But all I'm trying to get is a straight answer. 5 - 6 pounds of malt to 5 gal. of water?

It really depends on the alcohol percent you want. As others have said, it's probably best to grab a kit. The ingredients are already measured out and the instructions will tell you what to add at what times. The more malt you use, the higher the alcohol beer you'll have.

This ain't rocket science. But if you haven't done it before or you're having problems, this should be the forum to come to. Anyone can do this, don't make it out to be some trade you have to be a scholar to understand. When you complicate it, it makes it overwhelming to new brewers. This is the best forum out there. I don't understand why everyone is coming down on this guy! Troll? English as a 3rd language? Wtf is that? Help the guy out for gods sake. Everyone swears this is some mathematical genius trade that only few can enjoy. What it comes down to is someone like you and I trying to brew some beer and drink it. I bet he ends up brewing some awesome stout that will blow you outta the water! All it takes is a little confidence... You can't assume people know all the brewing "lingo" to explain what's going on. And you shouldn't make fun of them for it. If you don't have anything that helps, don't post!

This ain't rocket science. But if you haven't done it before or you're having problems, this should be the forum to come to. Anyone can do this, don't make it out to be some trade you have to be a scholar to understand. When you complicate it, it makes it overwhelming to new brewers. This is the best forum out there. I don't understand why everyone is coming down on this guy! Troll? English as a 3rd language? Wtf is that? Help the guy out for gods sake. Everyone swears this is some mathematical genius trade that only few can enjoy. What it comes down to is someone like you and I trying to brew some beer and drink it. I bet he ends up brewing some awesome stout that will blow you outta the water! All it takes is a little confidence... You can't assume people know all the brewing "lingo" to explain what's going on. And you shouldn't make fun of them for it. If you don't have anything that helps, don't post!

Dude, go back and re-read the thread. People DID those things. We have gotten zero relevant information. It's pointless.

It's all good, I hooked him up with a recipe he can't go wrong. I hope it works for him and he comes back in the know. Once he does it and it works out he can worry about refinement. I'm positive it'll work out

Go for it! It's great. Aside from the mistakes I made from brewing to kegging, it came out awesome! Give it a shot and let me know how it turns out for you... The recipe itself is awesome

Agree Pablo.....I've been reading this thread and he has not given any info except that "this batch is bad I don't have any ABV" "I just want to make 5 gals of beer" Nothing but numbers as his name. It's starting to read like a young person just worried about alcohol content.

If it's not then he needs to slow down and take the advise that has been given. He says he doesn't have money for a thermometer, but is on his 4th batch?

6 lbs of grain IS NOT 6lbs of extract!

25518? some here are starting to wonder if you're just being a troll as it's if you're hard of hearing,cept in this case it's reading.

You had success on your first kit where you used 6.6 pounds of extract, Why did you change from your first batch on the next two?

Are you really just pulling everybody's leg or what?

I mean I read your responses where you restate things and I just wanna ask "are you high"?

my 2 cents on this. This is a kid. If not, they need to step back and start over from the beginning and talk to someone at the homebrew club to walk them through and help them. But my best bet lies on someone under the age of 18.

My apologies to everyone for my ignorance. I looked at varying recipes. Much. I thought I knew. Much more I need ti learn. My 3rd batch came out with inclunclusive numbers by this time in the fermentation process. (trash the batch) before I start a 4th. I'm going to try on recconmended recipe as well as reading and trying others. My arogance for thinking I could just jump right into brewing. Thinking, I know what I'm doing has resulted in learning that I have faild only to learn that I must step back and learn, study a craft that I want to master. Thanks to all for helping. Thanks to all for the rudicule. I will take some time. Take what info I have collected. Along with more info I'm going to collect and create my perfect beer. I'll be back.

I'm sorry if I came off as harsh. It seemed like you were hearing but not listening. A good idea for you next brew is maybe to write down by hand your brewing process. Step by Step. Lay out everything you'll need before you turn on the heat. Do a dry run walk through. and don't drink more than a couple beers while you do this. I tend not to drink any beer while brewing. My brewing deserves all my attention. Good luck, think it through, walk it through and even check off you brew instructions for now. Later it will become second hand.

Back