How hard is a 220 to install?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
I think the easiest thing to do would be to simply add it directly below my electric panel in the garage, and then run a 15ft 220 extension cord to my brew stand.

My question is..how easy is to add the 220 line and wire it. I'm a complete electric noob, so I don't know the first place to start. TIA for any advice!

Sorry to the mod...I thought I was posting to the electric section and can't figure out how to delete this one?

Easy.

Call an electrician. 220V is not to be messed with.

It should be a simple job, but pretty hazardous, if you don't know what you're doing.

It's actually very easy, but there are some caveats. First, decide if you need GFCI. I highly recommend it, but it depends on what it's used for. For a brew rig, I would not install without. You may want to buy a GFI breaker instead of GFI outlet (do they make GFI outlets?)

Second, you'll need to know how much current you are going to draw. I think 30A would be enough, but without seeing your plan, I'm guessing. Assuming 30A, then install a 30A double pole GFI breaker in the panel and run wires out box like a normal outlet, except you will have 2 hot wires instead of 1. (You'll need the appropriate wire to handle 220V and 30A, but I don't know what the number is off the top of my head...)

As far as the GFI wiring, I'm not experienced in that, so you may want to Google some examples. Normally you wire the bare ground and the white neutral to a bar in the panel, and then to the appropriate places on the other end.

As normal, please disconnect the juice to the main and watch your hands and tools when working with the power panel. There is always a risk involved if you are not experienced, but I understand that paying an electrician can be very expensive for such a simple thing, so if you just don't want to pay a real electrician, at least find someone you trust to know what the heck they are doing, or be very careful.

You could always submit your idea as a drawing on this forum. There is a small chance you will get an answer without the post being ground into a flame war on safety or electrical code.

IF YOU HAVE NEVER WORK WITH ELECTRICITY DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!

If you have, and are somewhat knowledgeable it is easily done.

Either a double pole 240v 40 amp breaker or running line from 2 single pole 120v 20 amp breakers. Run the lines to the new outlet making sure to use the appropriate size wire (preferably 8 ga. copper, or 6 ga. aluminum). Wiring the outlet is simple, but don't forget to use GFCI and make sure to run ground wire. into the breaker box, and verify that the box in ran to a grounding rod. I say this because I made that mistake (making sure the box was grounded, it wasn't when I bought the house).

If any of this at all seems fuzzy or the questionable, PLEASE CALL A PROFESSIONAL. Electricity is nothing to be messed with unless you know what you are doing. YOU CAN GET YOURSELF KILLED!!!

Electric noobs should not be taking the cover off their panel to begin with, just to be clear. 220/240 vs 110/120 does not make a difference, it's the amperage that stops your heart. The volts just hurt like hell.

Yeah. I've worked with 110 quite a bit around my house but if I need to do something with 220, I'm picking up the phone.

I have an electric range which I moved one day to install a floor. I don't know if the thing was turned on or what but when I plugged it back in, I enjoyed a humongous POP which blew the main breaker in my house. I'm not talking about the breaker for the range; I'm talking about the big one at the top of the box.

Yes, I was an idiot and didn't turn off the breaker to the range first. I figured I don't throw a breaker when I plug in a lamp so what's the difference? Now if I need to unplug the range or the electric dryer, the breaker is my first stop.

I've done it and it worked out, also I'm fairly comfortable with house wiring (had a class on it in high school).

It's actually pretty easy to do, BUT IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE it can cost you your LIFE. I got hit with a 220 30 amp (I think) once due to some other guys mistake lucky I didn't wrap my hand around it. Next thing I remember was laying on the floor and checking to see if I wet myself.

If you're not sure call someone, doesn't have to be a licensed electrician, a buddy who used to work in the field or is comfortable with it will work.

I've worked quite a bit with 220 and 480/460. It's not that bad at all. Just think of the 220V and two 110 lines on opposite phases (adjoining breakers) Google it, and if you are at all hesitant just call an electrician.

Quite frankly, if you only need it under the panel, just call some who know what they are doing! It will take them about a half hour to install it and your life is worth it.

My question is..how easy is to add the 220 line and wire it. I'm a complete electric noob, so I don't know the first place to start. TIA for any advice!

It is trivial... if you know what you are doing. If not, hire an electrician. This is one of those things that doing it wrong can kill you or burn down your house.

Yeah, it really is super easy. You won't kill yourself unless your an idiot, but you might not figure that out in time... It really is easy, if you understand household wiring, don't be afraid. There isn't really any reason to be more afraid of 240 vs 120, both need respect but both are manageable for a novice. There is plenty of information on the internet (I would however suggest an electrical forum not a homebrew forum...) and your local hardware store. The savings of hiring somebody will likely be substantial but the knowledge is priceless...

Back