How long until pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyp1214

Reaction score
Just racked into secondary after two weeks and wanted to know how long did it take your brews before forming a pellicile?

How much headspace do you have in secondary? The formation of a pellicle only indicates that you have oxygen in the vessel.

Not much. Although most of the pictures I have seen have been of wild beers in glass carboys that have a pretty descent pellicile without much headspace.

Two weeks is almost no time at all in the lifetime of a wild ale - these beers takes months to years to be ready. If memory serves, it was nigh two months before I saw a pellicle on my Flanders Red.

How do you guys feel about the wooden dowel in a carboy is it difference making?
I was thinking about boiling some chips then soaking in folie or pinot then adding.

Mine took 4 or 5 weeks to form in my Flanders Red, 6.5 gallon glass carboy, 5.5-5.75 gallons of beer, no dowel.

It also depends what temperature you have it at. I had one a +80 this summer and it formed in 3-4weeks and fell at 8 weeks. Though I was not too happy with the result. The batch was soured well, but was not vary complex. I think with these types of beers it much better to keep it cool and age it for at least a year. but like others say, don't expect to see the pellicile layer for a while.

I have a lambic going that it took two weeks at the most but that's because it used grapes floating in it as something to anchor on to

Back