Hardywood Park Gingerbread Stout help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like the hops are off, I'm using a variation of this recipe on brewtoad. But I've added 1 pound flaked oats and adjusted the SRM and IBUs.
But with the hop amount in the recipe on brewtoad its 115 IBUS!?

Please see attachment for corrected recipe.

What do you guys think?
Ginger Root 5.0oz at 5 min Boil

3 Cinamon Sticks at 5 min boil

Vanilla Beans 5 split and scraped at 5 min boil

Lactose 1.0lb at 60 min boil

Steep grains 25 mins between 150-165F

Wildflower honey at 10 min to end of boil

GBS.jpg

Thanks for all of the info on brewing a Hardywood GBS clone. We're going to give a double batch a try tomorrow. I just picked up local Yohman's honey (no wildflower but got their buckwheat - which has notes of bourbon and caramel) and got freshly harvested baby ginger at the Forest Hill Farmer's market, score!

I'm going to go with 5 oz of baby ginger since it's milder than regular ginger.

I'm in Richmond and have a few bottles of the GBS in storage, so will do a tasting when these are done. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

I hear the Hardywood GBS release is at 2pm today. A number of folks in the local HB Club are headed up to RVA for the weekend--a few brewery and local pub stops. Wish I could have gone, but responsibilities call.

It is very hard to find right now. Most places have sold out. I am lucky enough that a co-worker followed the beer truck to the store and ran to the back of the store and met the truck driver in the Employee Only area of the store. He grabbed two cases. My co-worker gave me a bottle. I'm hoping to make some of this soon. Hopefully, the recipe above will get me close.

My above recipe is missing .46oz of Challenger at 5 mins.
The page wasn't all the way scrolled up when I took a screenshot.

Kody

Looking to brew this for christmas weekend...any updates/feedbacks since brewing?

If I brew this again, I'm going to try to track down some baby ginger. If I use mature (grocery store) ginger again, I'll probably cut it down to about 1-1.5 oz.

I still have some of this from my initial brew, and the ginger has faded a bit, and it's tasting more like the commercial version now than it did fresh.

If I brew this again, I'm going to try to track down some baby ginger. If I use mature (grocery store) ginger again, I'll probably cut it down to about 1-1.5 oz.

I still have some of this from my initial brew, and the ginger has faded a bit, and it's tasting more like the commercial version now than it did fresh.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to dial back the ginger a little.

So, I'm not so much interested in a clone...just a good gingerbread stout. I did a Scottish Ale with pumpkin this Fall and it was great. The spice was there, but not overpowering. I did use some fresh ginger and that was a good move..really enhanced the flavor. So, what I'm doing is a batch of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout...several have brewed and rated highly. It's in primary fermentation as of yesterday. My plan is to split 2 gallons off and add gingerbread flavor in secondary. The reason I'm here is to research the gingerbread component. I'll figure out the ratios, but I have a few questions. 1) Isn't gingerbread made with molasses? So why not use it, instead of honey? 2) Wouldn't a good quality vanilla extract do just as well as beans, if adding to secondary? 3) Wouldn't you get more flavor from ground cinnamon? 4) And ground ginger powder is usually used in gingerbread and has a very different flavor from fresh...why no ground ginger?

I really like fresh ginger, but I think I'm going to use some powdered as well. I understand going for the highest quality ingredients, but if the result you are looking for is an authentic gingerbread flavor, then fancy honey, baby fresh ginger root and Madagascar vanilla beans are probably unnecessary. Now, if a clone is what you're after and those are the ingredients that THEY use, then I get it.

For a two gallon batch, I'm thinking of tossing into secondary a couple teaspoons each of powdered ginger and cinnamon, a couple teaspoons vanilla extract, and a tablespoon of fresh grated ginger root that have been mixed into 1/3 cup vodka and covered/refrigerated for a week or so to sanitize. Plus 2 tablespoons of unsulfered molasses. Let that go for an additional 2 or 3 weeks, then bottle when ready.

1) Isn't gingerbread made with molasses? So why not use it, instead of honey?
Because we are trying to clone the beer. Since Hardywood uses fresh local honey, I used honey as well.

2) Wouldn't a good quality vanilla extract do just as well as beans, if adding to secondary?
Again, I'm pretty sure Hardywood uses whole beans, so that's what I did. It's also been my experience that using a whole bean, whether in cooking, baking, or brewing, gives a different flavor.

3) Wouldn't you get more flavor from ground cinnamon?
Probably.

4) And ground ginger powder is usually used in gingerbread and has a very different flavor from fresh...why no ground ginger?
Again, Hardywood used fresh, local baby ginger. I couldn't source baby ginger, but I could still find fresh.

subscribing to this thread.

Also, I wanted to put in a little input...hardywood uses WLP007 for the yeast in this. I am lucky enough to be local and have had it several times. I dont like 99% of beers that people put stuff in besides hops, grain and yeast, but I LOVE this beer. I will brew this next year to have ready for Turkey Day and beyond.

Also, for those not local, if you ever get a chance to try some hardywood beers, their Sidamo Stout is off the chain good. Same base beer, but with fresh roasted local coffee added.

One more note, hardywood has released their "Christmas Morning" this year....GBS with fresh roasted coffee from Black Hand coffee company. Something to think about.

One more note, hardywood has released their "Christmas Morning" this year....GBS with fresh roasted coffee from Black Hand coffee company. Something to think about.

I actually started this recipe because all the RVA stores kept selling out before I could get it, so my first taste of GBS came after I brewed and bottled this beer. Now that I've moved away I can get it in Scranton by the case!

Christmas Morning sounds amazing, and I haven't seen it here yet so I may work on that next. Black Hand is great! I used to drink it a lot, and even put one of their roasts into a saison that turned out pretty awesome. No Black Hand where I live now obviously, but I could always pick some up if I come down for the JRHB competition next year.

Because we are trying to clone the beer. Since Hardywood uses fresh local honey, I used honey as well.

Again, I'm pretty sure Hardywood uses whole beans, so that's what I did. It's also been my experience that using a whole bean, whether in cooking, baking, or brewing, gives a different flavor.

Probably.

Again, Hardywood used fresh, local baby ginger. I couldn't source baby ginger, but I could still find fresh.

Okay. Well...continued luck with your honey/ginger clone thing. Cheers!

We're looking to brew this in the next couple weeks. Took your recipe and suggestions and came up with this. (lowered ginger/black barley, increased carafa, cinnamon, vanilla). Thoughts? Suggestions?

Recipe:
11 lb Maris Otter
1.5 lb Victory malt
1.25 lb Lactose
1.25 lb flaked oats
1.0 lb crystal 120
.75 lb Chocolate malt (UK)
1.5 oz Black Barley
1.5 oz Carafa II

3.5 oz Challenger (6.9% AA) 60 min

2 oz Ginger, fresh, peeled, and sliced - 15 min
2.5 tsp Cinnamon, ground - 15 min
3 Vanilla beans, split & scraped - 15 min
2 lb Wildflower honey - 5 min

2 packs US-05

Mash: 156 for 60 min
Mash-out: 170 for 15 min
Boil: 60 min

Alrighty.... I made this recipe (Brew store was out of lactose. I'll have to add it when racking to secondary) yesterday shooting for a 2 gallon batch. I over boiled by accident (I do this every time...) and ended up with 1.5 gallons. OG is 1.105 (which is higher than expected due to the over boil.) I used a lot of us-05 harvested from my last beer. With 80% attenuation, the projected ABV is just north of 11%. Does anyone know how us-05 will handle this? I'm going to add water later to bring it back up to my target 2 gallons, assuming the yeast hold up.

The wort was a bit more bitter than I expected.

Alrighty.... I made this recipe (Brew store was out of lactose. I'll have to add it when racking to secondary) yesterday shooting for a 2 gallon batch. I over boiled by accident (I do this every time...) and ended up with 1.5 gallons. OG is 1.105 (which is higher than expected due to the over boil.) I used a lot of us-05 harvested from my last beer. With 80% attenuation, the projected ABV is just north of 11%. Does anyone know how us-05 will handle this? I'm going to add water later to bring it back up to my target 2 gallons, assuming the yeast hold up.

The wort was a bit more bitter than I expected.

I did a 5-gallon batch of 1.112 imperial stout with 2 rehydrated packs of US-05, and it took it down to 1.027, about 76% attenuation. There are a lot of other considerations (mash temp, nutrients, etc.), but for a beer that big, it's nothing to sneeze at for sure!

Wanted to give cloning this a go so I can have some ready when it comes out this year. I just wanted to check back to see if anyone tried another batch since the last. Not sure if I should be making an imperial milk stout and then flavoring it in the secondary or if adding baby ginger, honey, and cinnamon at the end of the boil was coming through just right. I have a good source for the original but they are all pretty tight lipped about the process/recipe.

Reviving this thread since I saw that 2015 GBS release is Nov 7th. I will not be in line for it, cause I have a bottle left over from last year.

Still gotta brew this one of these days...

I might have to pick up a bottle of this this year and give the clone attempt another go. I think I may brew the base beer without the spices to see how that is. If the base beer is solid I'll start working on the spice.

I'm gonna guess that the baby ginger is key (instead of mature grocery store ginger), but I haven't found a convenient source near me. It could just be that I used too much ginger the first time around, so maybe cutting back will bring it into balance.

I've been to the South of the James market several weeks in a row and still haven't come across Casselmonte farms or baby ginger. I've tried contacting them through email without a response. I am beginning to think baby ginger might not make it into my recipe

Baby ginger available in rva at Elwood Thompsons, grown at VSU in Petersburg. A mere $11.99 lb. Good thing you don't need much!

Sadly, I've kinda abandoned this one. I don't experiment with big beers because they end up taking up space for far too long. I might have to give this another go next year, but I have other projects going right now.

Sadly, I've kinda abandoned this one. I don't experiment with big beers because they end up taking up space for far too long. I might have to give this another go next year, but I have other projects going right now.

Same here. If I made my usual batch of 10 gallons, this would be around in July! It is definitely a small batch brew.

Ended up brewing a scaled down version of this last night with a few minor adjustments. :mug:

8 lb Maris Otter
1.5 lb Victory malt
1 lb Lactose
1.25 lb flaked oats
1.0 lb crystal 120
.75 lb Chocolate malt
3 oz Black Barley
3 oz Carafa III

3 oz Challenger 60 min

1.8 oz Ginger root from Wal-Mart - 15 min
2.5 tsp Cinnamon, ground - 15 min
3 Vanilla beans, split & scraped - 15 min
1 lb local NC honey - 5 min

2 packs US-05

Mash: ~155 for 60 min
Mash-out: 170 for 15 min
Boil: 60 min

After reading this thread (several times) and looking at other sites, I brewed this today (Halloween 2017)

10#s MO
1# English brown
1#6oz victory
1# crystal 120
1.5 oz Black prinz
1.5 Carafa II
12 oz Chocolate
1#6oz lactose
28oz local honey
4.5 oz baby ginger from NC
2 Tbsp Vanilla bean paste
1#6oz rolled oats

Swapped victory for biscuit and ran out of MO so I used brown. I chose the vanilla paste due to cost. I mashed at 154 and boiled for 75 minutes because I got 8g wort at 1.053. I added 1 oz magnum at 70 and 1oz perle with 10 to go for IBU of close to 50. I was shooting for a BU:GU of .50-.58. Ended up with an OG of 1.088 and transferred 6.5g to the fermenter. I also added the lactose, honey, vanilla and ginger (which I put in a nutribullet with some water and ground coarsely) all at 15 to go. I couldn’t find my cinnamon sticks so those (1.5) will go into a quick boil before going into secondary.

Planning to leave in primary for 3-4 weeks then secondary for 2-3 and then keg. I used two yeasts I had on hand, Irish ale and an American ale that were both added to a 1200ml starter on sat. I may have over pitched but I wanted to be sure this ferments out. Fermenting at 70. I don’t care is I get some esters as the flavors in the beer would be ok with the addition.

Thoughts?

Back