1332 Popped the top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I pitched to much yeast or if I just didn't leave enough room.

I gathered a quart of yeast cake into a mason jar. It was in my fridge for around two months. I used Mr. Malty to calculate the pitch rate. Since it was that old it suggested pitching 1300 ml which was more than I had so I pitched the whole quart.

48 hours later I had the lid pop off my 7 gallon fermenter. The first time I used this yeast it came pretty close to filling the head space up and got krausen into the air lock. This time the lid bowed out and popped off. I had to install a blow of tube and with the lid off I could see that the entire 3" of head space was filled with krausen. The lid has continued to bulge up even with the blow off tube installed. Now 4 days later the krausen is starting to die down.

This batch had an OG of this batch was .068. MY first batch was .58.

Anyone have similar experience with the 1332 strain?
Did I over pitch or does this yeast tend to do this?

That is pretty normal, given it was fermenting in a tight space. This yeast produces some of the biggest krausens I have seen and at low temperatures too. The krausen sticks around for weeks. However, be careful of your ferment temps with this yeast, ferment too high (70F) and it can get pretty tart tasting.

Wish I hadn't used this after reading more about it, seems a lot of people dislike the tartness. Used in a cascade/centennial IPA, hopefully I'll be able to get the temp down a bit- strangely I had very little kräusen and was actually concerned it wasn't more active after the first day, bubbling away now

My last batch was a all Amarillo APA and even at temps as High as 74F I didn't get a lot of tartness if any. I've had it at similar temps so we'll see how it does with the winter warmer.

Before I used this yeast I read up a lot about it and many talked about the tartness. It seems people either hate it or don't seem to notice it it. I'm thinking I'm of the later group and since this yeast handles higher temps it's going to be my house strain. As long as this next batch turns out ok, that is.

I've used this strain twice on an IPA and APA. My fermenter got up to 72F in both batches, and I've detected no tartness in either. I pitched fresh both times and didn't have any blowoff issues, but my OG's were lower.

I had to try a bottle of Mongoose IPA from Hale's brewery, which is where this yeast is used as the house strain for the majority of their brews (allegedly). I didn't taste any tartness in that brew either.

I am beginning to think the tartness has something to do with being a super taster. I can't remember where I read about super tasters but basically about 1 in 4 people has super taste buds and can taste things the rest of us cannot. The way they test you is with piece of paper that is supper bitter only to those that are super tasters. I wonder if that is what is going on here with this yeast?

I think the tartness people seem to get from this yeast has something to do with pitch rate, oxygenation and/or temperature. I use this yeast quite a bit, got an APA going with it right now, and I've never tasted anything which could be described as 'tart' from it. But then again, there are a lot of people whom seem to think this yeast is the wort crap ever. I reserve that opinion for s-04.

As for supertasters, I was tested in one of my college bio classes and found out that I find things more bitter than others. I've heard this gene or whatever applies to bitterness, but not sour. Who knows though?

Edit: Actually I got that mixed up. Not a supertaster, it was some other test for bitterness tolerance.

Yeah I had this happen every time i repitched with this yeast, never blown the lid off but, a couple of times im sure I would have if I hadnt been around to check on it, I love this yeast, in spring I had this yeast blow through a 1.101 beer down to 1.012 about 10 pts farther then I wanted, but still impressive

Yeah I had this happen every time i repitched with this yeast, never blown the lid off but, a couple of times im sure I would have if I hadnt been around to check on it, I love this yeast, in spring I had this yeast blow through a 1.101 beer down to 1.012 about 10 pts farther then I wanted, but still impressive

Good to know.

So do you taste any tartness when using this yeast?

Ive always got a pleasent fruitiness from 1332. I dont think ive ever let it go above 70. I have some in the fridge maybe for my amber ill try to go up to about 75-78 a couple days into fermentation, I think a tartness might actually might be nice with some extra sweetness left in.

Yeah I had this happen every time i repitched with this yeast, never blown the lid off but, a couple of times im sure I would have if I hadnt been around to check on it,

How many re-pitches have you gotten from your original purchase?

Everytime I use it I re-pitch at least once, but the most ive done was 4 i believe. Sometimes this yeast wont fall out and instead forms a thick layer on top which makes for clean and easy harvesting. For me this yeast gets better with more attenuation when harvested.

Back