Cleaning lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auspice

Reaction score
Finally got my tap tower refurbished and all my pieces and parts gathered to get my "new" kegerator up and running. I don't currently have ANY corny kegs to fill with sanitizer to run through my system. I haven't even cut my lines but I did not want to hook up the 5 gallon keg of Great Lakes I picked up today and risk messing anything up. Can I soak the lines in starsan or something before I cut them and hook it all up or is there an easier way to clean everything before I start running my first load of beer?

Thanks everyone.

I use beer line cleaner on my lines; I see no need to sanitize them. I use a $10 pump-spray bottle (found in the garden department of your local Lowe's or Home Depot) connected to a tap fitting (about $10, IIRC) and use this to send the cleaner through the lines. I then rinse with potable water.

This may be a silly question but I've never tapped a keg ever. I've got a sanke tap that I've been soaking in cold water and bleach. After I rinse it out and pop it on the keg can I carbonate it without having beer line attached to it? Or will it already be carbonated from the brewery?

Any tips of tapping my first keg? I've seen plenty of videos of people getting sprayed with beer and I'd rather not get the inside of my kegerator painted with brew. The sanke adapters I have twist to lock instead of having a handle on the side like most I've seen in pictures. Assuming I just put it into place, push down and twist clockwise then hook up my lines and I'm good to go?

I'm going to get my lines all cleaned out tomorrow once I do my final assembly of my tap tower and everything. Here's hoping everything goes off without a hitch!

Make sure the handle on the coupler is in the up position when you set it. Then lower the handle, that will "tap" the keg. Otherwise you will be taking a beer bath.

Back