Crazy Idea, I am sure wont work!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraAgent

Reaction score
I have brewed beyond my limits and have no bottles left in which to bottle. I have a batch of brew sitting in my carboy for a month now. It is a partial mash wheat beer.

I was wondering Instead of bottling why couldnt i transfer my brew to the bottling bucket add priming sugar seal up the bottling bucket, put a cork where air lock is and put some clamps on my lid (so it wont blow off).

Could this work? Or is it just wishful thinking

Well, the beer carbonates in the bottle because the co2 that's trapped in the headspace has nowhere to go except back into the beer. I think you'd have a ton of headspace for one thing. Secondly, the cork would probably pop out or the lid would pop off way before you had enough pressure in the headspace to be forced back into the beer.

I think you'd end up with flat beer and a popped out cork. It's Saturday- can you go hit up a bar for a few empties?

Just guessing here but I don't think it would hold the pressure. The cork would make a nice dent in the ceiling a mili-second before the beer splattered all over.
Why not just leave it in the bucket till you get some bottles ? Another option would be to buy some cheap soda in litre bottles. Dump the soda and use the plastic bottles. If they are clear ,store them in the dark.

+1 on bad idea. Plastic buckets weren't made for the pressure. PET bottles on the other hand are.

Well, the beer carbonates in the bottle because the co2 that's trapped in the headspace has nowhere to go except back into the beer. I think you'd have a ton of headspace for one thing. Secondly, the cork would probably pop out or the lid would pop off way before you had enough pressure in the headspace to be forced back into the beer.

I think you'd end up with flat beer and a popped out cork. It's Saturday- can you go hit up a bar for a few empties?

Affirmation here for the above suggestion - go to some bars and get some empties. Another idea is try some recycling centers. Go get yourself some bottles!

Plastic soda bottles will also do in a pinch: you need to keep them in the dark so they won't skunk, and they won't keep beer fresh for years, but a wheat isn't going to last that long anyway. Just don't use bottles from anything non-carbonated(those likely aren't designed for pressure) or root beer(I'm told the flavor will get in anything you put in the bottle after.)

I wanna see the pic's as well if you try it. Just drink some hb, and then rinse/sanitize the bottles :) Or like everyone else has said, hit up a pub.

Back