APA recipe/ hop schedule help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdogg

Reaction score
tomorrow im brewing a 10 gallon batch of pale ale. here is my "grain bill".

12 pounds gold LME
4 pounds vienna
2 pounds cara-vienna 20L
1 pound carapils (should i skip this ?)

i need some advice on my hop schedule though. here is what i have available:

1 ounce Chinook pellets 10.3 AA
3 ounces Amarillo pellets 7.5% AA
2 ounces centeniall LEAF 11.4% AA
3 ounces german magnum pellets 14.8% AA
3 ounces ahtanum pellets 5.2% AA
6 ounces cascade pellets 7% AA

which hops should i use? the OG should be 1.055 to 1.06. and i would like the IBU's in the 40-70 range. let me know what you guys think!!!!

I recently brewed BierMunchers's Kona Firerock Pale Ale, and you're only missing a small amount of Mt Hood that's added at the end.

I'd go with:

1 oz Centennial 60 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 40, 30, 20, and 10 min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 5 min
1 oz Centennial dry hop

I'm subbing the Amarillo for the Mt Hood, which isn't to say they're in the same family. I haven't used ahtanum before, so I don't know enough to speak to it.

edit: the more i think about it, the hops should be in the 40-50 range. and we are doing about a 8 gallon boil.

heres what i have so far:
1 oz ahtanum and 1 oz chinook @ 60
2 oz cascade @ 45
1 oz ahtanum @ 15
2 oz amarillo @ 5

this puts me at about 44 IBU's. thoughts?

I recently brewed BierMunchers's Kona Firerock Pale Ale, and you're only missing a small amount of Mt Hood that's added at the end.

I'd go with:

1 oz Centennial 60 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 40, 30, 20, and 10 min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 5 min
1 oz Centennial dry hop

I'm subbing the Amarillo for the Mt Hood, which isn't to say they're in the same family. I haven't used ahtanum before, so I don't know enough to speak to it.

im debating on whether to dry hop this one or not. if its too hoppy, the fiance wont touch it (which could be good or bad i guess) but i want this one to be a crowd pleaser. is that hop schedule for a 5 gallon batch?

tomorrow im brewing a 10 gallon batch of pale ale. here is my "grain bill".

12 pounds gold LME
4 pounds vienna
2 pounds cara-vienna 20L
1 pound carapils (should i skip this ?)

i need some advice on my hop schedule though. here is what i have available:

1 ounce Chinook pellets 10.3 AA
3 ounces Amarillo pellets 7.5% AA
2 ounces centeniall LEAF 11.4% AA
3 ounces german magnum pellets 14.8% AA
3 ounces ahtanum pellets 5.2% AA
6 ounces cascade pellets 7% AA

which hops should i use? the OG should be 1.055 to 1.06. and i would like the IBU's in the 40-70 range. let me know what you guys think!!!!

Yes, skip the carapils. You don't need it. I"m not a fan of using more crystal malt in most beers, and I think this will be great without it.

As far as the hops, I'd like to use either magnum or chinook to get into the 40 IBU area with bittering, and then use late hops for the flavor and aroma. I'd go with the additions at 15, 10, 5, 0, and possibly dryhopping for lots of great flavor and aroma. I like ahtanum pellets at 5 minutes, but I like centennial, amarillo and cascade equally well for late additions so any of them will work.

I would say bitter with the Cascade and do half oz additions of Amarillo at 20,15,10.5 and flame out!

Back