2nd AG ingrediants will arrive tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Well my first allgrain/first brew ever oatmeal stout went great and I finished the last bottle on my birthday yesterday. The ingrediants for my second batch will arrive tomorrow along with a new 6 gallon better bottle so that i can start doing multiple brews. My second attempt will be a Edworts Hefeweizen since that seems to be a popular receipe. Wish me luck everyone, and if anybody has any tips for me for my first hefeweizen feel free to help me out!!!! YEP I HAVE CAUGHT THE HOME BREWING BUG!!!!!!

Get ready for a blowoff! Seriously, the hefe yeast blows up big...I had mine in a 6.5 gallon carboy and it still blew off. If you don't have one already, rig up a blowoff tube. Other than that, congrats on your second AG and good luck with the hefe!

damn i hope im gonna be safe with this brew, lol, Im pretty sure that im going to have this brew day and then go 1000 miles away for work through the whole fermentation process. guess i really need to rig up that blow off tube especially with only a 6 gallon fermenter huh. I do use my kegerator with my temperture control unit to keep constant fermentation tempertures, that will help keep the mess down if things to get ugly....I hope.

If you've got a blowoff tube, no need to worry. I have an improvised one built from a small section of racking cane and siphon tubing. It fits right into a normal stopper, and you just put the other end of the hose in a jar of water big enough to hold some overflow if you get it.

DSCF0212.JPG

thanks for the advice guys, I am going to build a blow off out of some tubing and a 3 peice airlock i have laying around, any problem building one like this?

Also any other advice for someone about to leave a vigourosly fermenting brew alone unattended for a few weeks?

Also any other advice for someone about to leave a vigourosly fermenting brew alone unattended for a few weeks?

keep it in a pan of water with a towel or shirt around it to suck up water constantly. then put a fan blowing indirectly on it

I have a kegerator with temperture controls installed on in, so fermentation temp won't be a problem

thanks for the info buddy, but 7 12 hour work days is hardly a vaction plus daily hangovers since you can get way better beer in the northeast vs. the southeast, lol, im like a kid in a candy store when i get around those yankee brewpubs, lol

even easier, go buy 1" vinyl tubing from lowe's. Get around 6' of it for something like 2 bucks. Take it home, cut it in half, and put one end snuggly into a carboy neck, it will seal itself, and put the other end in a 1 gallon gatorade plastic jug (empty out gatorade, clean and fill with water). CHEAP! and it's the widest barrel blowoff you can get.

JBrady - Make sure you do a 90 minute mash, with that much wheat and German Pils efficiency can be problem. Drain slowly, stir like crazy and try to max out the sugar extraction. But the final product is great even at low OG.
Best of luck and enjoy it, and congratulations on expanding the pipeline volume, I always need more carboys, kegs, kegerator space, fermentation space, and hot drinking buddets (can I make that word up?)

thanks everyone, damn i love this community, im fixing to become a premium supporter.

do it. I did just recently. Best $25 I've spent in awhile (not related to beer making). And I even got the HBT sticker in the mail yesterday. I'll probably stick it on my MLT

Hey AZ thanks for reminding me, just payed through paypal, how long before it shows up that im premium?

:off: The redneck bastard child of fermentation chiller (my official name for it) is holding steady at 66 right now with a wet T-shirt over the carboy and no ice. The ambient room temp is 74 at the moment. When I pitched I had ice in there which kept it at around 62. I held around 62-64 by adding 3# of ice twice a day (soda bottles filled with water and kept in the freezer.. high tech) until the blowoff tube stopped getting filled with gunk. ;)

Back