What is Sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sboro33

Reaction score
I am new to homebrewing, and for some reason sparging is a mystery to me. I am sure it is very easy but I was curious if someone can tell me what exactly to do, thanks.

Damn, you guys are quick. I was about ready to post the same exact link.

Yep, I found the brewing language hard to understand at first. Here is another link: >>[ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Asparging&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a"]Sparging[/ame]
Lots to read and learn.

Blender said:
Yep, I found the brewing language hard to understand at first. Here is another link: >>Sparging
Lots to read and learn.

I think brewing terminology can be unnecessarily confusing to people. I know the terms are traditional but really it can made easier for beginners. Like; sparging = rinsing / mashing = soaking / vorlaufing = recirculating / etc...

I've got my first batch in the bottle. I'll admint this all grain business is intriguing and overwhelming. Of course, I haven't spent the weekend reading howtobrew for all grain yet. lots to learn.

so a partial-mash brew involves part extract and part grains where you mash the grains longer?

Don't listen to those yahoos. They don't know what they are talking about.

Back when pirates sailed the high seas, they would saddle up alongside another ship, throw grappling hooks or planks from their ship to the other, and then begin a Spirited Charge, also known as a "sparge".

Now, you may ask, what does that have to do with homebrewing?

EVERYTHING!!! When the water sparges through the crushed grains, it unleashes sugars, not unlike the bloodbath unleashed by the pirates.

I hope that clears everything up.

who, me? I recongnize a quality product when I see it :rockin: and this site/forum is the shizznit!!!!!
:mug:

Back