Stuck in teacher conferences all day, so I'm reading HBT.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5B-brewing

Reaction score
I teach science in a small community in Oregon. We had conferences until eight last night and I'm here eight 'til eight today. So instead of grading papers while I wait for parents, I'm planning my weekend brew day. Seems like a much better use of time and taxpayers' money, right?

Two parents in four hours have bothered to show up....

What grade do you teach? Around here we generally get 100% parent participation through about the 6th grade level and then it starts tapering off. There is only so much "your Johnny is doing great, good participation in class, and a pleasure to have" that you need to hear. ;)

Isn't it mandatory for parents to show up? My foggy recollection of my childhood seems to lead me to believe that it was when I was in elementary school.

Oh,and to answer your question, I'm at work right now.

I teach high school. Conferences aren't mandatory at this level and the parents that do show up aren't the ones I actually need to talk to.

Three parents in six hours. Shoot me now.

At least I've figured out how I'm going to wire up my new brewery for direct fired RIMS....

I teach high school. Conferences aren't mandatory at this level and the parents that do show up aren't the ones I actually need to talk to.

At the high school level you are seeing the parents that are interested in getting Johnnys GPA to 4.35 from 4.15. The ones you need to see have never been to a conference. Hey, maybe next year advertise a homebrew /student conference.

Free beer would definitely bring in a few more. I'll have to talk to my principal about that. :)

So instead of grading papers while I wait for parents, I'm planning my weekend brew day. Seems like a much better use of time and taxpayers' money, right?

That's Awesome! I just put in 10 hours of physical labor for $12 and hour for you to sit on the computer and worry more about beer than grading papers! I'm glad I'm doing my part! Would you like some coffee?

Sorry sir but this just kind of twists me in the wrong way. You suggest that you are using taxpayers money for personal gain. AND instead of grading "taxpaying" parents' children's papers, the future of the economy ect..you are using the money I give fourth to help fund our education by planning you're next brew day, when a country ranked very low in education should be prospering from people like you. I will lay off the subject because I respect the rules of the website, but next time sir you should think twice, as IMHO I would like my tax money being used in a better way. Good day

Sorry sir but this just kind of twists me in the wrong way. You suggest that you are using taxpayers money for personal gain. AND instead of grading "taxpaying" parents' children's papers, the future of the economy ect..you are using the money I give fourth to help fund our education by planning you're next brew day, when a country ranked very low in education should be prospering from people like you. I will lay off the subject because I respect the rules of the website, but next time sir you should think twice, as IMHO I would like my tax money being used in a better way. Good day

He still has to grade the papers, you know. If he doesn't do it at work, he'll have to do it at home.

Again, I say look up the word "facetious." I'm a half time teacher, getting paid half time, and expected to be here twelve hours today. So yep, I was on HBT on and off today. No apologies.

Can't surf at work - big bro is a watch'in. But, I make sure the city water is processed right for the weekend brewing.

Well when I see this wording: "So instead of grading papers while I wait for parents, I'm planning my weekend brew day. Seems like a much better use of time and taxpayers' money, right?" What am I supposed to think?

Been there... sometimes when you sit there for an hour or more without a SINGLE parent caring enough about their own kids failing grades to come to conferences, the only salvation is to think about brewing some beer. And, as pointed out earlier, the papers still need to get graded.....

Well when I see this wording: "So instead of grading papers while I wait for parents, I'm planning my weekend brew day. Seems like a much better use of time and taxpayers' money, right?" What am I supposed to think?

The waste of taxpayer money is that he's sitting around waiting for parents to show up but none do.

I would often do the same thing when I taught science at the high school level. When i taught i Elementary didn't have time all the parents showed up.

I am sorry as well, I obviously don't know you but found it a bit offensive as a lower class citizen. You, for all I know are the best teacher Oregon has. WI just had a big argument about the education system and that may be where my feelings came from. I just think children should come first is all. I regret my statements. Text can take things out of context. My bad.

I earn my money, promise. I get paid for four hours a day and work at least six. I spent my Saturday last weekend here at the school decorating for the school dance, then came back and was here until midnight as a chaperone. Every week there is something similar.

I've worked the manual labor jobs for years. Used to work ninety hours a week doing fish processing in Alaska. Know how it goes. That's why I chose to get my degree.

@thaworm69- No worries. And I would never call someone who works hard for a living "lower class."

(And definitely not the best teacher in Oregon, but I do my best most days with what I've got.)

(And the papers did get graded. I've got small kids at home. Try to minimize bringing work home.)

Nobody would probably care if you weren't bragging about it. I'm sure many of us have surfed the internet at work a time or two, but don't make 10 post bragging about screwing around for 8 hours on the their employers dime.

Thanks and sorry for the misunderstanding. Good for you. Now I feel like an ass. Do they make a beer for that?

Do they make a beer for that?

Bear Ass Brown
bro_web.jpg

Just had to say: thaworm69, got your pm. Thanks. You are a class act. If you are ever in the Albany/Salem, Oregon area, I would love to have a beer with you.

Back