I need a good wheat recipe for....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
the stuff I have on hand:

2 cans of 3.3# Muntons Wheat LME
1 can of 3.3# Muntons Light LME

Hops: Tettnang, cascade, cluster, Hallertau (2 oz. Leaf) and 1/2 oz Hersbrucker.

Yeast: Wyeast Weihenstephan, Wyeast German Wheat 3333, White Labs
WLP-001 Cal Ale.

Okay, who's got a good extract recipe for this stuff? I can always get more supplies but I'd like to use some of this stuff first. I'm okay w/ steeping grains but no AG or partial mash. I aint there yet.

:mug: Thanks:drunk:
Alan W

Sounds like you have everything you need.

What's the AA % on the Hallertau and Hersbrucker hops?

How much water do you boil? I usually only boil 1.5 gals. I also place 4 gals of PUR filtered tap water in the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing.

With that in mind...

Heat up the water. Pour in only 1/3 of a can of the wheat extract and enough hops to equal 3.4-3.8% AA. (I only use 3% AA with 6 lbs of DME, but since you'll be using more I'd up the hops).

Boil for 45 mins. Remove pot from flame.

Add remaining malt from can #1 and add can #2. Stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10 more mins. If you strain your hops out do that while pouring it into the primary. Top off to 5.25 gals. Take temp and gravity readings.

I'd use Wyeast Weihenstephan. Ferm temp about 70-73F for a nice banana flavor.

Fairly simple really. ;)

Thanks for the recipe.

Hersbrucker: 3.8AA but I only have 1/2 oz
Hallertau : US 4.2AA 2 oz, German leaf 4.8AA

I can boil up to 2.5 gallons but 2 is more manageable. I guess your talking about using just the two cans of Wheat LME. I'm quite the rookie so hop utilization for a 2 gallon boil would be good. Also what OG would you guess for this brew?

Thanks,
Alan W

GIusedtoBe said:
Thanks for the recipe.

Hersbrucker: 3.8AA but I only have 1/2 oz
Hallertau : US 4.2AA 2 oz, German leaf 4.8AA

I can boil up to 2.5 gallons but 2 is more manageable. I guess your talking about using just the two cans of Wheat LME. I'm quite the rookie so hop utilization for a 2 gallon boil would be good. Also what OG would you guess for this brew?

Thanks,
Alan W
WAIT! Are the cans PRE-hopped? That would make a difference.

If they are PRE-hopped then we need to change a few things...you won't need to use any hops.

Go ahead with your 2 gal boil and use 2/3rds of can 1 (yes, use the wheat cans) and boil for 15 mins. Remove from the heat and add and dissolve the remaining malt from can 1 and add can 2. Stir to dissolve. Let steep for 15 mins. Pour into the primary and top off to 5.25 gals. :D

Take temp and gravity readings. If it's in a good then pitch yeast.

By adding the majority of the malt towards the end the brew will be lighter in color.

your OG should be about 1.049 according to promash

I'd use 0.5 oz of the Hersbrucker and 0.25 oz of the Hallertau for that recipe...giving you 13.3 IBU

that's assuming the extract is non-hopped ;)

It is unhopped extract guys. Thanks for the info.

99 I like the point about putting most of the extract in after the boil but does this make any difference other than color? I like the idea of a lighter color but I've read books that advocate boiling even "no-boil" kits.

Thanks,
Alan W

you only need to boil extract a short time so it dissolves in the wort and partially sanitizes it (it comes pretty sanitized anyway)

i've added mine at flame-out a number of times and it was fine. the only real difference is color, but it will often make quite a difference!

Back