Sickness: Man opens fire on Denver area theater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awful. Why do these people crack up, and why do they shoot random victims?

Witnesses said he started walking up the stairs, stopping at each aisle to shoot random people. Of course the coward had on a BP vest, gas mask, etc. Too bad someone with conceal permit didn't end him before it got too far.

I'll give this nut-job credit for one thing. He didn't kill himself at the end. I've never understood that. Why go through all the work only to off yourself? If that's your end move, just sit at home and do it. Leave us alone.

Surrendering to the cops though was lame. He should've shot it out with them. And not suicide by cop, even if it that is what a lone gunman shootout amounts to. If he was all geared up, hell, go for it, man. At least make a run for it.

I heard one of the 12 dead was a six year old little boy... Horrible.

Did you guys see the recent episode of Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman?
The topic was "Can We Eliminate Evil?" Hopefully we can soon.

Surrendering to the cops though was lame. He should've shot it out with them.

So many people already needlessly died, I'm glad it ended up with him surrendering and that nobody else was hurt. As for the shooter, they should put him in front of a firing squad consisting of a family member of each person he killed.

Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.

I need to keep telling myself this.

I simply do not understand some people. I do not have the mental capacity to understand situations like this. Where's the motive? Not enough hugs from mom and dad? The fact that a kid or kids were involved makes me want to vomit.

I simply do not understand some people. I do not have the mental capacity to understand situations like this. Where's the motive? Not enough hugs from mom and dad? The fact that a kid or kids were involved makes me want to vomit.

The fact that there were kids that young at a midnight showing makes me want to vomit. Solid parenting right there.

Midnight showing and that movie period. When you see a small kid out that late, you have to remind yourself. Their parents may work 2nd or 3rd shift. Their entire life schedule may different. That doesn't excuse teh fact a 6 year old was at this movie period.

That said, if you want to be a bad parent, you should be able to take your kid to a movie without getting shot.

Midnight showing and that movie period. When you see a small kid out that late, you have to remind yourself. Their parents may work 2nd or 3rd shift. Their entire life schedule may different. That doesn't excuse teh fact a 6 year old was at this movie period.

That said, if you want to be a bad parent, you should be able to take your kid to a movie without getting shot.

Of course you should. Still think having kids out at that sort of movie at that time is selfish parenting.

Sad all the way around.

Agreed.

That. The world does not operate on a strict 9-5 schedule.

And are the kids still out of school? If so, so what if they went to a late show?

So what if they went to a late show at all? Exactly what time does the boogie man come out?

Who the **** says something like this?

Who the hell goes to Batman and shoots up a theater full of people?

Once you've gone this far, you may as well keep going.

"You may as well" has no meaning once all rationality is abandoned.

This is off topic, but who cares what your schedule is. 3 month olds shouldn't be at any movie, at any time unless it's one of those special movies designed for parents to bring young kids. 6 and 9 year olds shouldn't be at the Dark Knight. 9 is debatable but 6? Come on now.

On topic: Messed up. This is horrible.

This is off topic, but who cares what your schedule is. 3 month olds shouldn't be at any movie, at any time unless it's one of those special movies designed for parents to bring young kids. 6 and 9 year olds shouldn't be at the Dark Knight. 9 is debatable but 6? Come on now.

I'll be the first, or third or fourth maybe, to say I don't want to be in a theater with a screaming baby. But hey, what are we gonna do, make it illegal to have children out during the witching hours?

And is Batman no longer a comic book guy for kids? I haven't seen the new one. When Adam West was on the TV that got 5 channels, it was okay for me to watch.

On kids being out late, my two boys wake up most mornings at 6:45-7:30 regardless of when they went to bed. That's a reason I try to get them in bed at a reasonable hour. Young kids need sleep to help them grow. Plus it's not fun dealing with a grumpy kid.

On the DKR movie and kids, we've let my 6 and 10 year old watch the first two in the series, after my wife and I watched them both at least twice. We also discussed certain parts of the movie with them to make sure they understand it's just a movie, things are wrong, etc. I wouldn't take them to any PG-13 or worse-rated movie without screening it first myself.

Zuljin said:
I'll be the first, or third or fourth maybe, to say I don't want to be in a theater with a screaming baby. But hey, what are we gonna do, make it illegal to have children out during the witching hours?

And is Batman no longer a comic book guy for kids? I haven't seen the new one. When Adam West was on the TV that got 5 channels, it was okay for me to watch.

The local theater doesn't allow anyone under 21 after a certain time, I love it.

And the new Batman is really dark, I don't consider it appropriate for kids, it barely got a PG-13 rating.

tre9er said:
On the DKR movie and kids, we've let my 6 and 10 year old watch the first two in the series, after my wife and I watched them both at least twice. We also discussed certain parts of the movie with them to make sure they understand it's just a movie, things are wrong, etc. I wouldn't take them to any PG-13 or worse-rated movie without screening it first myself.

I really respect that, and my parents were the same way. When I say that the new ones aren't kid appropriate I mean as a general rule. Parents know their kids better than anyone.

Not everyone has the luxury of babysitters, or family for childcare. It was PG-13, meaning anyone under 13 needs parental guidance. Doesn't mean they are strictly prohibited.

Why shouldn't a 3 month old be allowed into a theater provided that the caregiver has enough sense to get out of the theater before the child becomes a nuisance to the other patrons? Who are you to say that a 3 months old cannot sleep peacefully in a thater room and not be anuisance to the other patrons? Point is, the details are not there, and it is not your place to decide based solely on age of the child. whether or not the child should or should not be there is a condition based solely on the ability of the person responsible for the child to respect the rest of the room and not be a distraction.

Aside from the debate about young children at the movie (this trilogy is very dark compared to the Batman of old and I would easily say this entry is the most intense and darkest), it makes me sick that a 3 month old and a 6 year old were among the victims (they haven't said whether they were among the wounded or the dead). I walked out of the showing I saw last night at about 3:40am this morning and that was the first thing I saw on Facebook when I turned my phone back on. I was walking beside my 9 month pregnant wife and thinking, "That nutjob could have walked into any of the thousands of theaters in the nation doing midnight showings, including the one we were in." It's really terrifying to think that people can just start shooting innocent people at any time for no reason. It's not going to stop me from seeing the movie again, though.

First of all, how sick is this. I just shudder at all of these incidents.

Second, what is the motivation of these nut jobs? Is it to gain notoriety and fame? I personally think we should avoid naming and providing pictures of such complete and utter cowards. Easier said than done of course.

Last I saw, the 3 month old was treated and released but one of the other younger ones didn't make it.

Aside from the debate about young children at the movie (this trilogy is very dark compared to the Batman of old and I would easily say this entry is the most intense and darkest), it makes me sick that a 3 month old and a 6 year old were among the victims (they haven't said whether they were among the wounded or the dead). I walked out of the showing I saw last night at about 3:40am this morning and that was the first thing I saw on Facebook when I turned my phone back on. I was walking beside my 9 month pregnant wife and thinking, "That nutjob could have walked into any of the thousands of theaters in the nation doing midnight showings, including the one we were in." It's really terrifying to think that people can just start shooting innocent people at any time for no reason. It's not going to stop me from seeing the movie again, though.

I just can't make the distinction here. How is being 3 months old any more tragic than being 60 when life is taken away by insanity? Only chaos theory has any control over that.

It's just not the same as a 3 month old dieing of cancer when they've not lived long enough to have any input on the cause of the cancer.

I am not numb to the death of a child, I just don't see how being 3 months old or 9 years old is any more tragic or disgusting than the others who died that night.

I personally think we should avoid naming and providing pictures of such complete and utter cowards. Easier said than done of course.

This. Unless the offender has been killed except in the case where the one is a part of something much larger.

Even the big screen has debated this in script. I forget the names of the movies, but I have seen a few where it was suggested that the offender not be given the satisfaction of the notoriety through media as part of his/her punishment. Otherwise, even if incarcerated, if the act is given attention the he/she "wins".

This. Unless the offender has been killed except in the case where the one is a part of something much larger.

Even the big screen has debated this in script. I forget the names of the movies, but I have seen a few where it was suggested that the offender not be given the satisfaction of the notoriety through media as part of his/her punishment. Otherwise, even if incarcerated, if the act is given attention the he/she "wins".

But even if the offender is killed, its still fame, albeit post-mortem. So no, that shooter doesn't get to appreciate the fame, but still provides other twisted folks with potential "at least they'll remember me" motivation.

but then, when you get down to it, there's no sense in even pretending that I understand what really motivates these folks.

I know that ccw is probably not even allowed in theaters, and maybe thats the only thing that could have stopped this, but the guy had gas mask and bullet proof vest on. He also had 4 different guns and was throwing tears gas. I'd like to think that concealed carry permits are the only way to stop these nut-jobs, but outside of sneaking up behind the guy and doming him, how can you stop this crap?
Also, why Colorado? again?!

This is just awful! You can't even enjoy a movie and have to feel threatened. But, the bad always brings out the good in people. And I still feel there's more good still in this world than bad.

Back