Mini Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjam

Reaction score
I got the 8 Gal pot from morebeer.com which is a very wide kettle. I orderd the fat tire mini mash from AHS which says to steep the grains in 2.5 gal. of water. Well i tested what 2.5 gal of water looks like in my kettle and it does not come up very high because of the width of the kettle. How big is the nylon bag of grains going to be because I dont know if the water will even cover the bag while I am steeping. Thanks

Steeping is different from mini-mash, and you're probably going to want to use a smaller pot if you're doing 2.5 gallons of water, that should be for less than 2lbs of grains, which isn't a ton.

Well can I do the mini mash in more water so I can use the pot I got???

I did a mini-mash from AHS and I followed the directions, so I'm not sure how you'll do with adding more water to the recipe. Usually to get decent conversion, you use 1.2 qts per pound I believe. (I'm definitely NOT an expert on mini-mash).

You don't have to mash in your kettle- I used to do minimashes in my bottling bucket, just lining the bucket with a big mesh bag. Using a grain bag in your kettle sounds kind of difficult- sparging, etc. will be kind of a pain, I would think, unless you have a spigot on your kettle.

Edit- I just pulled out my directions for the AHS mini mash I did. The directions say to use 2.5 gallons of water, and there is 3 pounds of grain. They don't have you sparging, either. I probably wouldn't vary from the recipe, just do the mini mash in a different kettle or mashtun.
I would add a sparge, though- just rinsing the grains with 170 degree water into your brewpot. I would lift out the grainbag and put it in a colander over the pot and pour the sparge water over it and let it drain.

I hope I don't sound too stupid since I'm now looking at going to all grain soon. But what's the difference between mini mash and partial mash?

Latest posts

Back