Yooper's Pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemoose

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like I will be making this in it's extract version this weekend, and I have a couple questions.

1. I got the cascade hops, but 2 oz at 8% and the other 3 were at 5.5%. Any suggestions which ones to use where?

2. I will be using my 10 gal Home Depot MLT. Any suggestions of temperature of the strike water so i don't need to preheat it? I think mashing at 152 with 6 lbs of grain with 2 gal of water? Is my best bet to batch sparge this for 15 min at a higher temp (160)?

Here is the link if you are unfamiliar.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-yoopers-house-pale-ale-100304/

Thanks

1. I'd use the 8% for the 1st 2 additions, and the 5.5% for the final 3.

2. I don't have BeerSmith on this computer, but going from memory i usually add around 165 degree strike water to get a mash of ~152 in my MLT. I would use 7.5 quarts of water to mash 6lbs of grain, using 1.25qt/lb ration of water to grain. I would sparge as close to 168 as you can.

HTH! :mug: Happy Brewing

That's what I was thinking for the hops.
7.5 quarts vs 8 quarts. Is this going to make much of a difference? Suggested volume for sparge water?

No it probably won't make that much difference.

Sparge water is roughly 2qt/lb

But you stated you were doing extract in the op?

Yeah, it is extract, but I figure I have a 5 gal pot, so I can certainly afford to sparge with the amount of water the grain will suck up. After this I will add hops and do a late addition of 3 lbs DME.

Gotcha. Yah if you have the room might as well get all the fermentables out of the grain that you can!

Just finished this brew. Went with the extract and came out with an OG of 1.057. The original recipe for AG says 1.058. I was pretty happy with the result. The MLT worked like a champ.
Rock n roll HBT!:rockin:

Back