First batch jitters - is it fermenting too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrw28

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just put my first ever batch (a pretty straightforward special/best bitter) into primary on Saturday afternoon. Nothing terrible happened during the boil, I hope ;)

I'm using Wyeast 1275, which according to the website ideally ferments at up to 72deg F. It looks to be going along pretty good now, with a bubble a second or thereabouts. The thermometer strip stuck to the side of my bucket is reading ~70deg. I'm worried since I'm planning to keep the beer in there for another week and a half to two weeks, so I'm thinking the temp will go up more and give me some off flavors. I'm pretty certain thats the coolest corner of my apt - the closet it is in is hovering around 68 deg F.

Am I right to be worried? If so, can/should I do anything or just see what happens?

Thanks!

The temp can jump up a fair amount during fermentation. But I would not worry unless it starts exceeding 72F and only for the first 72 hours of fermentation. If it gets warmer do what Hammy suggests.

Max is 72, you are reading 70. That is fine. The temp rises during the initial fermentation chug, but as you have the strip on there you can keep an eye on it. I wouldn't worry, just keep it at that 70 /68 range. Off flavors are going to should up more around the 75 area or so, and 3 degrees is a lot of energy to be added to that volume of fluid.

It will be fine. Over the couple weeks following the fermentation the yeast will be going dormant and not adding more energy to the system. I would just see what happens, especially as a first brew. Keep down the steps and variables, make it a simple process. Only recently have I worried about temperatures, and that is with Belgian ales, and I only had one brew go bad from heat (was a heat wave, 100F+ in the apartment).

Back