Bottling 1st batch tomorrow: Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagged

Reaction score
The instructions that came with my kit specifically refer to 12 oz bottles and say to fill to an inch from the top.

My question is, since I'm using liter bottles, do I need to adjust how much I fill the bottles?

I wasn't sure if the larger volume would need more headspace or not.

Thanks.

If you are using a bottling wand with a spring loaded tip, just fill the bottle up to the top, when you remove the wand there will be ample headspace. If you are not using a bottling wand, leave the same inch that is called for with 12 oz bottles.

- magno

magno said:
If you are using a bottling wand with a spring loaded tip, just fill the bottle up to the top, when you remove the wand there will be ample headspace. If you are not using a bottling wand, leave the same inch that is called for with 12 oz bottles.
I find the bottle-wand-to-top procedure to be inapplicable to liter bottles. There just isn't enough headspace up there to get good carbonation. WIth liters, I usually go about 20-30% of the way up the upper "bell" of the bottneck, which probably leaves a few inches to the top.

cool, thanks for the info everyone...I just finished bottling and I ended up with about an inch in each bottle...we'll see how it goes in a few weeks

Back