Delivery problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been kegging for a while now, and although I've had a rough time getting the pressure and line line, etc. tweaked perfectly, it's often worked pretty good nonetheless.

Anyway, this last batch I've noticed a strange problem. My liquid line degasses and creates voids in the line. Hence my first part of the pour comes out intermittently and kind of foamy. I haven't seen that before.

I've got about 10' of hose and I've tried with more pressure, and less pressure. After that first bit, it comes out fine, but immediately starts bubbling up in the line and a short while later, the first pour is again foamy and intermittent, until the hose is filled with fresh beer.

My temps are around 40, according to the thermometer, and my pressure is around 11 lbs for this beer. I should note that I started carbing it at around 30 lbs, and backed it down after it got carbed.

I didn't have the problem when I first tapped the keg, just after a while when the higher pressure caused a bit of excess foaming. Shouldn't the beer in the line and the beer in the keg both be at the same pressure? So you would think the beer in the line would not degass like that?

Most likely temperature related. I've found that as the brewery temperature declines, the kegger runs less and the lines get relatively warmer. That leads to the problems you are seeing, at least with my setup.

It's been going on now for over 2 weeks...

I am carbing a Belgian Pale and I poured a glass last night to check on it and it poured fine. The Wit is still having problems. I've clean both faucets 2 weeks ago.

I don't think the Pale is carbed up yet, and it doesn't have any additives for head retention. There is pretty much no head on it yet.

Maybe some useful info here, it turned out to be an o-ring between the dip tube and the post, may be a place to start at least!

Good advice. I'll plan on replacing those ASAP and I shodl double-check the teflon tape on the QDs as well. Although I haven't noticed the keg pressure dropping (serving rate).

Back