Preserving apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
I have a lot of discovery apples, that are very ripe, but i want to use a mix of apples, some of which wont ripen until late setember. Is it best to try, and if so how, preserve them as apples, or is it better to press them, and try and preserve the juice until i have the mix i want, then add them all together? If so how will i go about this

thanks

What do you mean? Can i add fermenting juice to other fermenting juice? Is there a way to go about this or just literally, start fermenting as i would normally now, then when i crush the apples at the end of september, just mix ther month old juice and the new? When blending would i have to add anything extra? I have a big fermenting barrel, would that be ok to blend into, and do i have to worry about oxidisation when blending?

You should definitely ferment them separately, then blend later. Your best bet would probably be to blend when you are bottling - blend into a bottling bucket to avoid oxidation problems. Otherwise you could keep them separate to make the drinking more interesting, drinking the same blend all the time might bet a bit boring.

Back