Beer Smith Final Gravity Too High?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddypower

Reaction score
I have entered all the information from the Stone IPA clone from the December BYO and I am getting a Final Gravity of 1024 when the recipe calls for 1012. There is probably something simple I am doing wrong but I can't see it. Anyone have any suggestions? I am using Wyeast 1968.

Ted

It probably has something to do with the attenuation setting on the yeast. This can have an affect on the FG.

I changed from wyeast 1968 to Notty and came a lot closer to the estimated FG. Since I have a ton of Notty on hand I will probably just use that.

Don't change the yeast just because of BeerSmith results. I have found that some of the info is somewhat "generic". Like $6.00 for each yeast..... Verify the attenuation expectation from the lab, not the program.

I checked the Wyeast site and it lined up perfectly with Beersmith. The starter size I have is 1.5L so I don't think that is affecting it.
Thanks
Ted

IIRC beersmith just uses the manufacureers average stated attenuation for the calculation. People here routinely get the high range and above the manufacturers stated attenuation by:
1: Making a large viable starter
2: Aerating very well
3: keeping a close eye on temperature

I would keep the yeast the same as stated in the recipe you are following (especailly if you're going for a clone) or the beer just won't have the same flavor profile.

i'll check when i have time, as i'm not sure the software takes these into account: grains that need a mash when no mash profile is selected, temp of mash, unfermentable sugars.

what does your grain/extract bill look like?

Back