pressure barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanyP321

Reaction score
I see many posts of proper kegging systems but I can't find much info on simple plastic pressure barrels with a mini c02 canister on the top (I have one).

I'm trying to find out what the carbanation from sugar/carb from co2 ratio should be? If I'm forcing co2, do I need sugar at all?

Will my plastic barrel lose pressure quite quickly?

Thanks guys!

Are you talking about a party pig? When you force carb no sugar is needed. but I don't know how many mini c02 canisteres it would take or if it could be done at all. If you could post a pic it would help

You're in England I take it?

They are not readily available here in the states, so there is very little info on here about them...In fact if you like at the similar threads box at the bottom of your screen you will see that the two threads titled "pressure barrels" have no posts in them..

For this question sadly, I would suggest you look for a British Forum, there's bound to be plenty on info on that there.

Sorry, they seem nifty, but for some reason, we don't see many of them here in the states.

Good luck!

stumped the beer masters huh?

...in a twisted way - i feel kind of special.
thanks revvy - il look on this side of the puddle

Well that search proved most frustrating, i tried to find the book i wanted but couldn't so you will have to settle for this: Barrels- currently in the UK there are about a dozen plastic pressure barrels for bulk storage of homebrew and all market CO2 injectors for dispencing beer under sterile pressure for those who prefer their beer served this way. Later it goes on to say that you should use sugar. But i am unsure on this myself and would check the guy's(Dave Line) other book (Big Book of Brewing) but i seem to have miss placed it. :(

thanks very much for that mate. if you stumble across them - id be grateful if you could let me know. Don't want to blow my garage up:)

:) its cool glad i could be some help, i do not think you would blow up your garage as pressure barrels usually have a release valve that lets off pressure when it reaches a certain pressure. But i will have another look for the book and see if i can find it.

If you force carbonate, you do not need any sugar. The main argument for using sugar to carbonate that type of keg is the small size of the CO2 cartridges. A little over an ounce per Imperial gallon would do it.

As to losing pressure, most of them will hold pressure if the gasket is in good condition.

Back