German vs. Belgian Pilsener Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I hope to place my first bulk grain order soon, and know I'm gonna need a sack of 2-row. I want to do some Belgian beers this summer, so I need some pil, too. I might also try a psuedo-pils with notty before it warms up too much, but think that I'll mostly use it for Belgians. Is there a big difference in the malt from BestMaltz vs. Franco-Belg? One is a little pricier, but as a general rule should I expect too much difference?

Personally, Id go with the German malt as Ive found it gives more of the grainy flavor I look for in a Pils malt.

Bh10, is this graininess something you're looking for in both Belgians and Pilseners?

Yooper, I don't think either of those is available to me, but thanks!

Bh10, is this graininess something you're looking for in both Belgians and Pilseners?

Yooper, I don't think either of those is available to me, but thanks!

I like my belgians to have a malty/grainy/bready backbone, but definitely in Pilsners and any other german lager, JMO.:mug:

I've been using Franco-Belges pils for a few months now out of a sack. I like it. I also have Franco-Belges vienna. The nice thing about the Franco-Belges is that I read it's French grown and they are not allowed to spray pesticides on the crop. Not certified organic by any means but I like less pesticides in my food/beer.

For Belgians (especially triples), I love Castle pilsner malt. I like Weyermann, but I think the Castle malt is just great.

My limited experience with Pils malts exactly mirrors Yoopers!

The beer I did with the Weyermann tasted like eating a loaf of bread, which could have been my brewing technique, but I find Castle more to my taste buds.

Back