First IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
I am ordering 3 different hops on Tuesday. I would like suggestions on which ones go good together. I am a big fan of IPAS that fill your nose and mouth with hop flavor and aroma but dont melt your teeth on the backend. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and I'm going to tailor my hop schedule around what i've seen in some other recipes.

Thanks in advance.

I love Amarillo, but apparently it's getting hard to find right now. I also really like Summit, but it is similar to Amarillo, so I tend to use one or the other. Willamette is great, and very versatile. I like to do 50/50 mixes of Amarillo and Willamette for flavor and aroma additions.

I am also a big fan of single hop American beers. Maybe just do one at a time in 3 different IPAs, then reserve a few bottles of each and taste them side by side so you can decide if the flavors meld or clash.

I like all the american hops personally.

Simcoe, Warrior, amarillo, cascade, centennial, citra etc.... Just seach around a little and see which ones sound like what you want.

I like the "C" hops for American IPAs- Chinook, cascades, centennial, etc.

I also like amarillo and simcoe, especially together!

For bittering, Centennial and chinook are great. They tend to have high AAUs so you get more IBUs with fewer hops. They also have great flavor in later additions. I really like cascade/centennial together in late additions at 15 minutes and 5 minutes as well as dryhopping.

The C hops tend to give you that big West Coast citrusy flavor. Amarillo is also very citrusy.

Sounds good. I think I'll get some Cascades, Centennials, and Chinook.

Now to start the recipe.

I'll be looking at other recipes to get an idea of what to start with and go from there.

Thanks for the answers

Sounds good. I think I'll get some Cascades, Centennials, and Chinook.

Now to start the recipe.

I'll be looking at other recipes to get an idea of what to start with and go from there.

Thanks for the answers

Nice combo! Here is a nice IPA

13 pounds two row
1 # vienna
1/2 pound C40
1/2 pound victory
1.5 oz chinook at 60
1 oz cascade at 30
1 oz centenial at 10
1 oz cascade at FO
1 oz centenial dry hop
1 oz cascade dry hop

For your consideration.

My base IPA is flavored with chinook, citra, and amarillo. I bitter with summit. I would happily sub out the chinook for summits late in the boil though.

drinking an english ipa now that i used centennial and cascade on. bittered w/ centennial and a late cascade addition - should have dry hopped it. really like the combo tho.

i'm dying to do an ipa that is dry hopped with saaz. i know, wrong hop but its my favorite smelling hop.

i have a mild blonde that i'm treating like a "mini ipa" clarifying that was bittered with simcoe and had multiple late cascade additions. only tried it flat and there's not enough malt to carry the hops, but its more of a hop delivery device kind of beer anyway. the combo is good, but i like the centennial/cascade pairing better. more citrus and a muted bitterness.

Just ordered a pound each of cascade, chinook, and centennial from hopsdirect.

Back