Hefeweizen yeast and yeast amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Brew

Reaction score
I have brewed two different 5 gal extract kits that came with 6 grams of munton dry yeast. My LHBS sells safale dry yeast in a 11 gram packet. Is the entire 11gram packet used for a 5 gallon batch of pale ale? I have heard of yeast bite, does the quantity of yeast used increase the likelyhood of yeast bite? Should 1/2 packet of a 6 gram munton dry yeast be used for a 2.5 gallon batch?

Any suggestions for hefeweizen yeast to be used for a 'medium' fruity tasting hefeweizen. My LHBS sells WLP300 and WLP320. I think i will go with the WLP320 american hefeweizen yeast, anybody have experience with that yeast? Thanks.

It's not going to hurt in the least bit just to use the whole package in the smaller batch.

As for hefe yeasts. The American style yeast isn't going to give you too many true hefe flavors. Better bet is to use the traditional hefe yeast and ferment at the lower end of the temperature range.

+1 to the post above by McBrew. Pitch the whole dry yeast pack (and shy away from Munton's yeast -- from my experience, it is unreliable and has attenuation problems).

WLP300 is the way to go for the hefe. Just keep it on the cool side of fermentation temp, and it will perform brilliantly. The 'American hefe' isn't going to give you much characteristic hefe flavour.

Munton's is definitely an under-sized packet. those packet sizes are why you see some recipes stating to use two packets, especially older recipes.

now the smart companies are doing 9-13g packets which is a big benefit to us.

munton's yeast is better than using bread yeast, but when I used to get kits with it, I'd always swap it for some Saf-Ale.

Thanks for the quick responses. I will definetely use the 300 yeast and try and ferment at about 68. I feel much more confident now, thanks.:mug:

Back