2013 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RUNningonbrew said:
Mine smelled great before drying, now they aren't as strong... Anyone else experience this?

Sometimes they will get a little grassy when they first start drying. Not to fear, once they dry completely and cure the smell will return, provided you didn't pick them too soon.

I put in four first-year Cascades around a 20' pole. Works like a flag pole so I can lower the bines for spraying and picking. Worked great. I got almost 4 lbs (green wt.) from my four plants. Hoping for better next year. Atached are my progression of photos.

polebase.jpg

ready to grow2.jpg

early growth 1.jpg

heading up 1.jpg

harvest1.jpg

My first year.

I am not sure if I harvested the correct time, but I had a pretty good yield for year one. My concern is with the brown cones on the centennial. Is this normal?

Yes, that is a keystone light in the coozy, but before you judge, hear me out...
I use the weak taste beer and throw some cones in to get the hint of what the flavor might be.

image-2459341152.jpg

image-1249757534.jpg

image-3169517901.jpg

image-3348186213.jpg

image-1325400435.jpg

gopheranotherbeer said:
My first year.

I am not sure if I harvested the correct time, but I had a pretty good yield for year one. My concern is with the brown cones on the centennial. Is this normal?

Yes, that is a keystone light in the coozy, but before you judge, hear me out...
I use the weak taste beer and throw some cones in to get the hint of what the flavor might be.

Browning is normal if you harvest too late. Don't worry though I still got descent results from some browned cent. They tend to lose a lot of lupilin though as they fall apart and sticky as hell. As u prob found out.

My first year.

A hop tea is good way to judge the quality of your homegrown hops and get some store bought whole flower hops of the same variety so you can compare. Put 5 or 6 cones in a coffee mug, dump boiling water on them and let them steep for 20 minutes.

...but you don't have many to spare :) If you really want to use them, maybe dry hop a split batch with your entire harvest. ...and don't worry, next year you'll probably have more hops that you can handle.

Stevo2569 said:
Browning is normal if you harvest too late. Don't worry though I still got descent results from some browned cent. They tend to lose a lot of lupilin though as they fall apart and sticky as hell. As u prob found out.

Thanks Stevo

Here's our 2013 hopyard in full bloom. 14' high trellis, 32' long, about 10 plants, trained 2-3 bines per plant. Picked, dried and vacuum packed about 5 lbs. dry weight, left about 20 hanging. NO time!!! Should have recruited some thirsty brewers to pick their own. Anybody around Middleborough MA?

Don't see how anybody could make any money hand picking hops although my hands do smell nice and have a sort of yellow tinge.

hops.jpg

Only 3oz worth out of my 1st-year plants, but they went to good use yesterday!

untitled1.JPG

Back