kettle: to toss or to salvage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hialtitude

Reaction score
So I have inherited two brew kettles. They are old kegs and were going to be used as flower pots until I rescued them from such a tragic ending. Anyways, they are in rough shape and I wanted to consult the collective on whether I should restore them and if so, the best method to use.

The kegs both have the tops cut off in a very rough manner with sharp angles around the openings. How would one go about softening/sanding them without any welding knowledge?

They are both very dirty and have wort stains throughout the inside from past brews. What are some good methods to clean them out?

Thanks for any imput and happy brewing!:mug:

Get an angle grinder to straighten the edges then sand smooth and you'll be good to go.
If not I'm sure you'll have plenty of takes if you want shut.

Yeah, angle grinder. Use a "flapper" wheel. If the opening is large enough, you can carefully get the grinder inside to clean up in there. Sandpaper by hand the edge when all the real rough stuff is off. Use bar keepers friend to clean the inside and maybe get a STAINLESS wire cup brush and attach to a drill and re-buff the inside. Labor intensive and time consuming, but it should get the inside stainless back into shape.

Back