That Bastard got my family drunk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just had to drive home by Bud drinking brother and Coors Lite drinking brother-in-law after a few of my just tapped Imperial Bastards. :tank: First off, I can't believe they even liked it. It's 10% ABV and 110+ IBU's for God sakes! A far cry from what their used to. But they actually loved it. So do I. It's fantastic.:rockin: They had 4 pints and were staggering around like a couple of college kids. Gotta love it. I on the other hand was not effected by a couple of them... :D

Here's the recipe. If you like Arrogant or Double Bastard, you'll love this stuff. Not really meant to be a clone of DB but I tried to make it somewhat similar. I ran out of Chinook so I added some Warrior, Columbus and Centennial. Boy am I glad I did.:

Imperial Bastard

OG: 1.097
FG: 1.024
ABV: 10%
IBU:111.2
SRM: 25.2

15.5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 85.52 %
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) 5.52 %
10.0 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) 3.45 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 2.76 %
8.0 oz Lyle's Golden Syrup (SRM)2.76 %
0.50 oz Chinook [15.00 %] (90 min) (Mash Hop) 6.3 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [15.00 %] (90 min) (FWH) 18.8 IBU
0.75 oz Warrior [16.70 %] (60 min) 42.9 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [15.00 %] (20 min) 16.9 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [14.00 %] (20 min) 15.8 IBU
1.50 oz Nugget [14.00 %] (Steep 30 min at FO)
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (Steep 30 min at FO)
0.25 oz Columbus [15.80 %] (Steep 30 min at FO)
1.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 Days)
0.75 oz Warrior [16.70 %] (Dry Hop 10 Days)
1.00 tsp Wyeast Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05)

The malt bill looks similar to an English Barleywine that I'm planning. How long did you age before drinking?

Mmmm, that looks like a great recipe. Did you just pitch the yeast straight from the packs or did you make some kind of starter?

That looks fantastic. The hop schedule is impressive!

Isn't it funny watching BMC'ers get on their first high ABV beer?

We once had company that discovered that she liked belgian tripels. After she slammed 3 in the span of about an hour, she spent the rest of the evening passed out in the recliner.

Maybe they will take interest in the hobby now too!!!

Well this stuff did it again. Had an Xmas party this past weekend. Finished off the keg. Had a couple of noobie friends and a few of my homebrewing buddies that loved the stuff. Maybe a little too much! :ban:

I need to make more NOW!!!

I have found there are two kinds of BMC drinkers:

The first kind drink BMC because they like it. They really are not interested in taste, they want thin beer they can pour down their throats.

The other kind simply do not know any better. They have really never been exposed to anything other than "silver bullets". Those guys you have to watch, or you will find all your kegs running dry...

;)

Back