Single Malt Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
To help learn the difference between the base malts I was thinking about making some single malt beers. 3 gallon batches of all the base malts with the same light hop addition (25 IBU), WLP001 yeast and the same gravity in each, around 1.040. My concern is I will end up with a lot of very bland beer.

Has anyone done any single malt beers and does this simple recipe still make tasty beer?

check out the SMaSH recipes all over this site. Many people have done it and it can be quite tasty if done right.

I would suggest shooting for a higher gravity to promote a little complexity. A greater concentration of flavor will allow for a more interesting palate without muddying the waters with adjunct grains.

I do single malt (and single hop) beers all the time. They are never "bland," though occasionally I can identify a hole in the flavor I'd like to patch up. Domestic 2-row on its own, for instance, really lets hops shine through, but once they fade out, the flavor gets "milky." Chinook could use a floral/tropical counterpoint to play against.

I've landed on some spectacular ingredients by SMaSH brewing. Spalt Select, Briess Undermodified Pilsner, and Wyeast 2308 is a positively glorious combination.

944play said:
I've landed on some spectacular ingredients by SMaSH brewing. Spalt Select, Briess Undermodified Pilsner, and Wyeast 2308 is a positively glorious combination.
What's the recipe

I did a SMaSH barleywine.....Maris Otter, EKG, and WL 007. Sitting in the secondary right now..

I also do smash's all the time and encourage new brewers to do them to learn what malts and hops contribute to a beer. My least expensive and most popular beers are all Smash's.
I personally love to hear some brewers insanely complicated recipe. Then he asks what's in my beer and I list one malt, one hop, a yeast and water. The question is always the same,"Is that it?"
And I say,"Yep."
I think a good smash is always drinkable and that gives it a competitive edge in judging it against more complicated beers.

I'm real curious what your OG is on that barelywine and what is the SRM looking like?

My OG was 1.095 and it finished at 1.026. The color is a little light for a Barleywine...I am guessing around 7 SRM.

Vienna malt makes a beautiful orange beer. With Hallertau, generous late additions, it's like the tastiest fruit punch you've ever had - with alcohol.

My OG was 1.095 and it finished at 1.026. The color is a little light for a Barleywine...I am guessing around 7 SRM.

I had a barely wine from mikkeller (Denmark) and was shocked when it poured real light like yours. It is now my favorite barely but I can't find it anywhere!

Back