OG on Dunkelweizen seems way off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDogBrewing

Reaction score
I just pitched the yeast on my Dunkelweizen. The recipe called for a OG of 1.061, my OG after temperature correction was 1.032. The final gravity of this recipe according to my LHBS where I got the kit is supposed to be 1.015. I measured the OG after I topped off the carboy to 5 gallons, just before airating with a drill and pitching the yeast. I'm concerned I did something wrong, but I followed the recipe below.

8lb. Alexander's wheat malt extract 60% wheat 40% KLGAS
1/2 lb Weyermann Caramel Wheat Malt 66 L
1/4 lb. Weyermann De-Husked Carafa III Malt 488 L
1/2 oz Saphir Hop
Wyeast #3056 Bavarian Wheat Yeast

Also, when I smacked the yeast pack, it did swell. When I pitched it in the carboy, I noticed that only half of the nutrient pack had emptied into the yeast. I dumpded the rest into the carboy. Should this be ok?
This being my second brew, I'm concerned that something is wrong with the OG. Thanks.

If you took the reading before mixing the wort and the top off water, you mostly got water in your hydrometer tube. It happens all the time but it's not a problem. It's nearly impossible for a reading to be off with an extract kit because there is a set amount of fermentables in the kit.

I've done that before with the nutrient pack and it turned out fine.

I just pitched the yeast on my Dunkelweizen. The recipe called for a OG of 1.061, my OG after temperature correction was 1.032. The final gravity of this recipe according to my LHBS where I got the kit is supposed to be 1.015. I measured the OG after I topped off the carboy to 5 gallons, just before airating with a drill and pitching the yeast. I'm concerned I did something wrong, but I followed the recipe below.

8lb. Alexander's wheat malt extract 60% wheat 40% KLGAS
1/2 lb Weyermann Caramel Wheat Malt 66 L
1/4 lb. Weyermann De-Husked Carafa III Malt 488 L
1/2 oz Saphir Hop
Wyeast #3056 Bavarian Wheat Yeast

Also, when I smacked the yeast pack, it did swell. When I pitched it in the carboy, I noticed that only half of the nutrient pack had emptied into the yeast. I dumpded the rest into the carboy. Should this be ok?
This being my second brew, I'm concerned that something is wrong with the OG. Thanks.

Was this a Keystone kit?

Back