Dry Hopping in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Is this unheard of, or generally okay? Right now I really don't have to worry about dry hopping, but in a few weeks/months I plan to do an ESB followed by an IPA, both of which will be dry hopped to varying degrees.

I know at some point a secondary is an inevitable purchase, but I don't see one in my immediate future unless required.

As an aside, what are you dry hopping schedules? I know some do 2 weeks, others 10 days, and others 3-4 days. What's the rational behind the differing times?

Yes you can, wait for the 7th day and then dry hop in the primary. Leave them in there for 1 to 2 weeks before bottling or kegging. They will sink to the bottom so you can rack clear beer.

sure you can, but the important thing is to wait for the primary fermentation to stop. if you dry hop during active fermentation then you'll lose all those flavors you're trying to keep in the beer.

WBC and SenorWanderer beat me to it.
Another big reason to wait is the stains I have on my ceiling, even with a blowoff tube, the hops clogged it and I had a nice big pop, and spent an hour trying to clean up.
Wait till primary/active fermentation is done, wait a day, add dry hops, wait three days. "IMNSHO" Or "In my ignorant WTF mind set.

Is this unheard of, or generally okay? Right now I really don't have to worry about dry hopping, but in a few weeks/months I plan to do an ESB followed by an IPA, both of which will be dry hopped to varying degrees.

I know at some point a secondary is an inevitable purchase, but I don't see one in my immediate future unless required.

As an aside, what are you dry hopping schedules? I know some do 2 weeks, others 10 days, and others 3-4 days. What's the rational behind the differing times?

There is a school of thought that dry hops primary but generally speaking dry hopping is done in the secondary. I like to wait 3-4 days after racking to the secondary before adding the dry hops. If you wait until all the co2 gasses out and after the fermentation that kicks up a little from racking before hopping you won't lose any of those volatile oils. So I secondary 14 days, dry hopping the last 10.

I do all my dry-hopping in the keg, using a stainless steel herb ball like this:

06-1172.jpg

Clip it right to the dip tube, and it works great! I rarely use a secondary (more accurately called a 'bright tank') prior to racking to the keg, so my keg serves as both the bright tank and the serving/storage vessel.

Back