AHS Extract Kit recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
I really like the selection and prices at Austin Homebrew. Can anyone recommend some of their kits that came out really, really well?

I don't care about the style, just that it met or exceeded your expectations

I've tried a few of them- the Fat Tire clone was really good. I can't remember which particular ones I've made, but I've never been disappointed with any of them.

I like the West Coast Pale Ale a lot, as well as the American Wheat. For extract, I prefer AHS's lighter colored beers, because they use amber and dark extracts for darker beers, and I don't like the way those extracts taste. An exception is the Mild kit, which I liked quite a lot.

There is a review section on their site that is really nice. ranks the kits buy how often sold and then has comments

I've brewed their Bavarian Hefe and it came out amazing. And by amazing i mean that when my dad tried it, he was reminded of when he was stationed in Germany amazing.

I found it by accident also - they SHOULD make it larger so more people see it.

It's under

Login or Create Account

I just bottled the belgian wit kit yesterday and i am brewing sam smith's oatmeal stout clone tomorrow. i havent tasted any yet though.

I can say that I have been pleased with the results from each AHS kit I have brewed. Pick your favorite style or beer and get brewing.

Most people that have had my brews have liked their amber ale, its not too extreme and it has more going on than most commercial beers.

Their pumpkin spice ale was flat out awesome! Only the second beer I ever made, and EVERYONE that tried it loved it. If you want to be a hero, brew it.

I've only ever brewed their mini-mash and all-grain kits, but I can say that they've all been winners!

Definitely find a style that you enjoy and start brewing. If you have commercial beers in mind, then try a clone kit.

I have brewed almost exclusively AHS extract kits.

All have been good, but the Harpoon IPA, Stone's IPA, and Firehouse Ale No. 4 came out great!

Have any of you ever done their Belgian Trappist Ale Dubbel or chimay red clone kits?

I want to make a dubbel for my next batch and i am torn on what to chose.

I just brewed the Chimay blue kit last night. It looks and smells wonderful, it will be a couple months before I can tell you how it tastes though. I figure a high ABV like this one will need some mellow time. When I do tap the keg I also have a bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve sitting in the kegerator to do a side by side comparison with.

Also, to OP, I have never gotten an AHS kit that wasn't awesome, either as extract or partial mash.

Start off with their gold seal extract kits, all have been pretty good. The hefe's, amber and creame ales are pretty tasty.

Schwartzbier, Rogue Mocha Porter clone, Whistling Pig Red, Brown Porter, Old Dog Brown ... haven't had a bad one yet.

Their Sweet Stout is awesome as well, it's changed the mind of many friends that didn't "like dark beer." You really can't go wrong with AHS.

- Chris

Their seasonal Honey Blonde Ale is fantastic. Very light and finishes very clean. I've got their clone of Old Speckled Hen in the secondary and their Kolsch in the primary. Hopefully, these are just as good as the honey blonde...

Come on guys - AHS has a review area where you give thumbs up and thumbs down on their KITS (always thumbs up I see).

Lets use this area as it REALLY helps people out.

it's under the Login or Create Account section.

I see Honey Blonde Ale has no reviews :)

Latest posts

Back