Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed 10 gallons of this back in January. The I had the first 5 gallons in a keg in about 3 weeks. I thought it was all right. Probably just a little too green. The other 5 gallons sat in a carboy for a while and then I figured I would try to add something to make the second 5 gallons taste better. I added 3 oz. of McCormicks Pure Vanilla extract. Then it sat for a few more weeks I put it in a keg and cold crashed. Force carbonated to 3.0 carbs. Aged the keg a few more weeks. Tapped the keg this past Saturday for my wife's birthday party. The vanilla flavor is really good almost like a vanilla cream soda Everyone really enjoyed this beer. Thanks Beirmuncher!

So many posts! Indicative of a great recipe I am sure. I have tried to go through the first 13-14 pages without seeing the answer and i'm sure its somewhere in the remaining pages but it will take forever to get through it all.
Just brewed it last night and its sitting at 68 right now. What would be a good fermentation schedule for bottling?
Keeping in mind I have two rooms with consistent temperature of 68 and 45. I'm thinking keep it at 68 for the 14 days, secondary at 45 for a week with gelatin and then bottle?

So many posts! Indicative of a great recipe I am sure. I have tried to go through the first 13-14 pages without seeing the answer and i'm sure its somewhere in the remaining pages but it will take forever to get through it all.
Just brewed it last night and its sitting at 68 right now. What would be a good fermentation schedule for bottling?
Keeping in mind I have two rooms with consistent temperature of 68 and 45. I'm thinking keep it at 68 for the 14 days, secondary at 45 for a week with gelatin and then bottle?

I personally have had some issues with Nottingham at room temps around 68 to 70 deg.. It jus seems to stress that yeast strain too much. Think acetaldehyde (green apple flavor) and vigorous blow off.. Is there any way you can get the temp around the carboy to at least as low as 65 for the first week? Through using a swamp cooler or ice in a bucket around the carboy?

in a room at 68 your wort temp might be as high as 75 and that is high for Nottingham

all the best

S_M

Valid point. I was able to cool down the ambient temperature a bit more so it's at 63 so that will help a little.

Where I live the temperatures have been changing dramatically between snowing and sunshine lately so it's made it a bit tough. I'll make sure to heed both of your concerns and try to keep the temperature down where possible.

Jus get through the first 5-7 days of fermentation. Once you see activity slow down, and especially if you do a hydro test and you are at or very close to final gravity, then it can sit at 68-70 with no adverse affects. Those are good temps for the yeast to clean things up

Jus get through the first 5-7 days of fermentation. Once you see activity slow down, and especially if you do a hydro test and you are at or very close to final gravity, then it can sit at 68-70 with no adverse affects. Those are good temps for the yeast to clean things up

Danstar gives it a big range of 57 - 70, but I have had luck with it at 65-68. I agree with Trusty, get it to 7 days in that range and you'll be fine after that. I however have pretty much gone to liquid yeasts all the time now. It's been a while since I have used a dry yeast.

i accidently threw my hops in after it started to boil. therefore i ended up with a 60 minute boil instead of a 90 minute boil . do you think this will have much if any affect on taste

i accidently threw my hops in after it started to boil. therefore i ended up with a 60 minute boil instead of a 90 minute boil . do you think this will have much if any affect on taste

I have made this 3 times now, with some changes here and there to experiment. That said I have only done a 60 min boil on all 3, and taste came out fine. I think the 90 min mash is key though. I mash this one to 75 min then start vorlaf which usually last about 15 mins. After the boil are your at your estimated post boil volume?

I have never done a 90 minute boil but always do a 90 minute mash as I believe this gives you the crispness of this beer

I just brewed it with minute rice and corn meal for one batch, flaked corn and flaked rice for the other

I like the flaked corn one better as it gives you a bit more corn taste and sweetness

I have brewed this recipe 12 times with only slight changes and have got it to where it is a house recipe

I do it with 12 pounds of 2 row and 4 pounds vienna and just love it

all the best

S_M

I have made this 3 times now, with some changes here and there to experiment. That said I have only done a 60 min boil on all 3, and taste came out fine. I think the 90 min mash is key though. I mash this one to 75 min then start vorlaf which usually last about 15 mins. After the boil are your at your estimated post boil volume?

I ended up mashing for 60 min then a 60 min. Boil. I t turned out I was roughly a gallon short after the wort cooled I added a little bit of top up water and fermentation started later on that night at 69 degrees. (Chilly night) . I completely dropped the ball on this one ( brew day was also a drinking day) and forgot to take the OG reading . I'm not too worried though ! Allof my last batches have turned out great. Thanks for the info

I ended up going with

12# 2row
4# flaked corn
1# minute rice
1oz williamette
1oz mt.hood (had to use as substitute for crystal)

So where is final gravity ending for most people?

Are many getting it down to 1.005 with us05?

Mine is now at 1.009, and I raised the temperature to 69 F to hopefully get it lower

Gravity is down to 1.005 (8 days) as expected
Will probably start cold crashing it tomorrow

Gonna try and attempt this again after my last batch was way to sweet and mash was unstable so i did change it up a little to suit the hops i have but left rest the same.Let me know how it looks and im off to try again..
Thanks.

Batch Size:*2.91
galStyle:*Cream Ale (6A)
Boil Size:*4.15 galStyle Guide:*BJCP 2008
Color:*2.7 SRM
Equipment:*Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIAB
75% Efficiency
Bitterness:*14.5 IBUs
Boil Time:*60 min
Est OG:*1.042 (10.4° P)
Mash Profile:*Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Est FG:*1.011 SG (2.7° P)Fermentation:*Ale, Single Stage
ABV:*4.1%Taste Rating:*30.0

IngredientsAmountType
3 lbs 8.0 ozPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain1
4.0 ozRice, Flaked (1.0 SRM)Grain2
12.0 ozCorn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)Grain3
0.2 ozCrystal [3.5%] - Boil 60 minHops1
0.2 ozGlacier [5.6%]
- Boil 60 min hop2.

Gonna try and attempt this again after my last batch was way to sweet and mash was unstable so i did change it up a little to suit the hops i have but left rest the same.Let me know how it looks and im off to try again..
Thanks.

Batch Size:*2.91
galStyle:*Cream Ale (6A)
Boil Size:*4.15 galStyle Guide:*BJCP 2008
Color:*2.7 SRM
Equipment:*Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIAB
75% Efficiency
Bitterness:*14.5 IBUs
Boil Time:*60 min
Est OG:*1.042 (10.4° P)
Mash Profile:*Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Est FG:*1.011 SG (2.7° P)Fermentation:*Ale, Single Stage
ABV:*4.1%Taste Rating:*30.0

IngredientsAmountType
3 lbs 8.0 ozPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain1
4.0 ozRice, Flaked (1.0 SRM)Grain2
12.0 ozCorn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)Grain3
0.2 ozCrystal [3.5%] - Boil 60 minHops1
0.2 ozGlacier [5.6%]
- Boil 60 min hop2.

I'd cut the corn down to 4oz as well. Also be sure to 90 min mash. Otherwise looks pretty good!

Would a 60min mash work too?
Thanks

I believe the the OP posted for a 90 min mash, due to the corn. I did one with a 60 and it came out ok, but that batch I also botched the hop additions too, so I'm not completely sure what affected the taste. I time for a 7 5min mash then vorlaf takes me about 15 to reach 90.

Cheers

I'm considering an extract version of this. How does this sound:

4 lbs extra light DME
1 lb rice syrup
1 oz willamette hops 60 mins
.75 oz Saaz 30 mins
.5 lb corn syrup 15 mins

I'm considering an extract version of this. How does this sound:

4 lbs extra light DME
1 lb rice syrup
1 oz willamette hops 60 mins
.75 oz Saaz 30 mins
.5 lb corn syrup 15 mins

I'm not upon the extracts anymore, but it looks about right. I'd love to see how that turns out. How does brewsmith like it?

Just went to the keg today under 12 lbs of pressure planning on drinking it Saturday night for the fight...going to do a sample pour Friday to be sure it carbed up

Sure has a creamy look to it in fermenter. I brew it often. Tasty for the price.

2015-04-28 21.45.58.jpg

Yes my beer does not adhere to the laws of gravity! I've tried...cannot get picks upright here..must b a size issue.

Drinking this now.Fantastic lawnmower beer.Will be my summertime house brew.Id like to experiment a little. If I lower the corn to 3 pounds what would the rice go up to?

put in a pound of Vienna
Im not sure about Vienna.I read Vienna will give it a toasty flavor that Im not looking for in this summertime beer.Im looking for a super light workin around the yard beer. Im reading more corn=Miller light.More rice= Bud light.Im loving it as is but I thought Id try out the more rice way. I don't think the rice and corn go pound for pound.So Im looking for the conversion. 1 pound less corn=How much rice?

I brewed this about a month ago. 10 gallon batch, followed the recipe to the letter, except for using clarity ferm (first time). Kegged/carbonated about 2 weeks ago. Really cleaned up nicely now. Great light tasting, extremely moreish beer. Will brew again.

IMG_20150501_172915.jpg

Back