Wheat beer with nottingham yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourdon

Reaction score
Has anyone used nottingham yeast to make a wheat beer? Did it taste alright? I am making a simple batch of blueberry wheat ale for the SWMBO.

6 lbs wheat LME (northern brewer)

.5 oz hallertauer (60min)
.5 oz saaz (15 min)

4 oz blueberry extract

nottingham yeast

I have some coriander, too, but I don't know if it will mix well with the blueberry. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I've done 2 batches of wheat with the nottingham yeast and both were fine. I'd make sure to use a blow off tube since both of mine were very vigerous ferments.

Should be fine. iamjonsharp made an american wheat with US-05 (similar to Notty IMHO) and it was awesome. I would be careful with the coriander. Blueberry + citrusy/spicy = weird.

Should be fine for an American Wheat (which are pretty bland beasts, perfect for a fruit addition). It would be boring as hell WITHOUT something added to it. I'd stay away from the corriander unless you're brewing a wit (in which case, you really need to get the proper yeast, and you'd want to use orange peel instead of blueberries).

If you are going for something like a Hefe, then use the right yeast (I forget the designation but your LHBS or on line store would know). I've never made a wheat with Nottingham dry yeast but I am betting it would be pretty good.

Im about to bottle a citrus wheat with nottingham. Havnt bottled it yet but the sample i tried was downright delicious!

and it is delicious! It is however, a very neutral yeast and I put honey and orange peel in mine or else it IS boring as the above mentioned post states.

Clinky! :mug:

A buddy of mine and I bought identical Hef kits from our LHBS except he went with the smack pack and I just settled on Nottingham. Mine was pretty good with the dry yeast, but there was a noticeable different with his liquid yeast. If you have the means to go liquid, do it.

Lemon zest works well with wheat and Nottingham. I made a pseudo Sam Adams Summer Ale clone last summer - basically a wheat beer with lemon zest and a touch of grains of paradise.

Thanks for all the input. I'm making my starter tonight for the batch. I'm going to save the coriander for another event.

bbourdon said:
Thanks for all the input. I'm making my starter tonight for the batch. I'm going to save the coriander for another event.
No starter needed for Nottingham or dry yeasts overall. Rehydrate and pitch.

Back